Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Want to learn about special relativity?

1. May 1, 2012 #1
    Hey, I recently made a video on the intro to Special Relativity for a physics assignment (highschool). A lot of the articles/videos I see online are either very general and show only the consequences and philosophy of the laws (like explaining the twin paradox) or are very confusing (wikipedia article). The video I made shows the very start of the formation of the theory starting with length contractions. It is much more in depth than most articles and goes into the math and why exactly the theory arose. I realize this is a lot of information for a discussion post and you probably think I am just trying to get views, but I think it is a great video for those who have heard about the theory but never really understood some of the math, etc. Overall the video is not very organized or professional (there is some shaking and annoying ambiant noises), but other than that I would like to hear any feedback. Depending on how good it all goes I will make some more videos with a much better setup. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2012 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

It usually helps to actually show people the video if you want comments.

4. May 1, 2012 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

So, are you planning on linking to it, or are we supposed to view it psychically ?

5. May 1, 2012 #4

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is probably it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6atXoypdqC8

6. May 1, 2012 #5
  7. May 1, 2012 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Strafespar, assuming that the link ghwellsir put up (apparently he IS psychic :smile:) is the one you want comments on, I have just one because I only made it through the first 2 1/2 minutes.

First, let me say that I applaud your initiative.

You START by saying you are going to define (or maybe it was explain) a Gallalean Transformation. That's not a bad thing to be doing, but my immediate thought was "Huh? Why is he starting off talking about Galleleo? Why should I care about this transformation? What is the POINT?"

What a very good teacher once told me was that when you are giving a presentation, do three things, in this order.

1) Tell them what you are going to tell them, and why they should (or might) care
    2) Tell them
    3) Tell them what you just told them (in summary)

You just jump right into #2 with no warning.

Oh, another thought. You might find it would make a better presentation if you did up your charts in advance, and with a MUCH heavier pen, and switch from one to a more complete one as you talk, so you are not slowed down by the drawing.

8. May 1, 2012 #7
    Yes, that is a very good point. I will definitely keep those three rules in mind. I think I should have some figures drawn out ahead of time like you said, it's just that when I was making this video I was sorta copying the Khanacademy approach.

9. May 1, 2012 #8

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10. May 1, 2012 #9
    haha wow. He stole my idea..just kidding. I'll admit his videos are probably better than mine, but I guess depending on how well my first video goes (requiring maybe 1000+ views after 5 weeks) I'll make some more..plus I won't be able to work on the videos during that time with the AP, final exams, SAT, ACT, etc. But yeah I'm really glad someone is really serious about making quality videos about subjects where the information is hard to come by.I wish him luck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook