Want to prove that limit of integrals diverges

In summary: Suppose X is the real line and f is a function that is not continuous at the origin. Then\int_{-\infty}|f| d\mu=\inftyand so the sequence does not converge to f.
jostpuur
Suppose we know that [itex]f_n\to f[/itex] when [itex]n\to\infty[/itex] (in some sense), and that

[tex]
\int f(x)dx
[/tex]

diverges. Can it be deduced that

[tex]
\lim_{n\to\infty} \int f_n(x)dx
[/tex]

diverges too?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the convergence of the sequence is uniform on the interval of integration then yes

I see now that this seems to follow from the Fatou's lemma

I thought first it wouldn't be relevant, because I wanted to consider complex functions, but if [itex]f[/itex] is complex, and the integral diverges, then it means that at least one positive or negative part, of real or imaginary part, diverges.

Then, for example if the [itex](\textrm{Re}(f))^+[/itex] diverges, then

[tex]
\lim_{n\to\infty} \int \textrm{Re}(f_n(x))^+ dx = \underset{n\to\infty}{\textrm{lim inf}} \int \textrm{Re}(f_n(x))^+ dx \geq \int \textrm{Re}(f(x))^+ dx = \infty
[/tex]

I guess that's it.

But I don't think that my original problem would be solved yet, because my original problem looks more like this:

Suppose [itex]X[/itex] is some measure space such that [itex]\mu(X)=\infty[/itex] and [itex]X_1\subset X_2\subset\cdots[/itex] is some subset sequence such that [itex]\mu(X_k)<\infty[/itex] for all k and such that

[tex]
\bigcup_{k=1}^{\infty} X_k = X
[/tex]

No I know that point wisely [itex]f_n(x)\to f(x)[/itex], and that

[tex]
\int\limits_X |f(x)| d\mu(x) =\infty
[/tex]

and I want to prove that

[tex]
\lim_{n\to\infty} \lim_{k\to\infty} \int\limits_{X_k} f_n(x) d\mu(x)
[/tex]

diverges.

So is it certain, that the integrals of [itex]f_n[/itex] could not start converging for cancellation reasons?

I've been "writing while thinking" so it could be that my posts are little confused.

First, since for each n, the map

[tex]\nu(A)=\int_Af_nd\mu[/tex]

is a measure, we have by continuity, that

[tex]
\lim_{n\to\infty} \lim_{k\to\infty} \int\limits_{X_k} f_n(x) d\mu(x)=\lim_{n\to\infty}\int_Xf_nd\mu
[/tex]

So your question amounts to: is there a sequence of integrable functions f_n that converge pointwise to a non integrable function f but such that [itex]\lim_n\int_Xf_n[/itex] converges.

The answer is provided by the old example of X=R, f(x)=sin(x)/x. It is fairly easy to show that [itex]\int_{\mathbb{R}}|f|=+\infty[/itex] by finding an appropriate sequence of step function bounded above by |f| and whose area makes up a diverging series.

But it is known that the sequence of (integrable) functions

[tex]f_n(x):=\chi_{[-n,n]}\frac{\sin(x)}{x}[/tex]

(which converge pointwise to f) are such that

[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\int_{\mathbb{R}}f_n=\pi[/tex]

(more difficult).

So, here is your counter-example.

What is the definition of a divergent limit of integrals?

A divergent limit of integrals is a situation where the value of the integral tends towards infinity or negative infinity, indicating that the function being integrated does not have a finite area under the curve.

How can I prove that the limit of integrals is divergent?

To prove that the limit of integrals is divergent, one must show that the integral either tends towards infinity or negative infinity. This can be done by evaluating the limit of the integral expression or by using comparison tests such as the divergence test or the limit comparison test.

Can a divergent limit of integrals still have a finite value?

No, a divergent limit of integrals cannot have a finite value. The very definition of a divergent limit of integrals is that the integral tends towards infinity or negative infinity, indicating that the function being integrated does not have a finite area under the curve.

What is the importance of understanding divergent limits of integrals?

Understanding divergent limits of integrals is essential in many areas of mathematics and science, particularly in calculus and analysis. It allows us to determine the behavior of a function near a point and to calculate important quantities such as area, volume, and average values.

Are there any real-life applications of divergent limits of integrals?

Yes, there are several real-life applications of divergent limits of integrals, including calculating the speed of an object in motion, determining the amount of work done by a force, and finding the average rate of change in a process. These concepts are essential in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.