Want to prove that limit of integrals diverges

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter jostpuur
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integrals Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
jostpuur
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
19
Suppose we know that [itex]f_n\to f[/itex] when [itex]n\to\infty[/itex] (in some sense), and that

[tex] \int f(x)dx[/tex]

diverges. Can it be deduced that

[tex] \lim_{n\to\infty} \int f_n(x)dx[/tex]

diverges too?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If the convergence of the sequence is uniform on the interval of integration then yes
 
I see now that this seems to follow from the Fatou's lemma

I thought first it wouldn't be relevant, because I wanted to consider complex functions, but if [itex]f[/itex] is complex, and the integral diverges, then it means that at least one positive or negative part, of real or imaginary part, diverges.

Then, for example if the [itex](\textrm{Re}(f))^+[/itex] diverges, then

[tex] \lim_{n\to\infty} \int \textrm{Re}(f_n(x))^+ dx = \underset{n\to\infty}{\textrm{lim inf}} \int \textrm{Re}(f_n(x))^+ dx \geq \int \textrm{Re}(f(x))^+ dx = \infty[/tex]

I guess that's it.
 
But I don't think that my original problem would be solved yet, because my original problem looks more like this:

Suppose [itex]X[/itex] is some measure space such that [itex]\mu(X)=\infty[/itex] and [itex]X_1\subset X_2\subset\cdots[/itex] is some subset sequence such that [itex]\mu(X_k)<\infty[/itex] for all k and such that

[tex] \bigcup_{k=1}^{\infty} X_k = X[/tex]

No I know that point wisely [itex]f_n(x)\to f(x)[/itex], and that

[tex] \int\limits_X |f(x)| d\mu(x) =\infty[/tex]

and I want to prove that

[tex] \lim_{n\to\infty} \lim_{k\to\infty} \int\limits_{X_k} f_n(x) d\mu(x)[/tex]

diverges.

So is it certain, that the integrals of [itex]f_n[/itex] could not start converging for cancellation reasons?
 
I've been "writing while thinking" so it could be that my posts are little confused.
 
First, since for each n, the map

[tex]\nu(A)=\int_Af_nd\mu[/tex]

is a measure, we have by continuity, that

[tex] \lim_{n\to\infty} \lim_{k\to\infty} \int\limits_{X_k} f_n(x) d\mu(x)=\lim_{n\to\infty}\int_Xf_nd\mu[/tex]

So your question amounts to: is there a sequence of integrable functions f_n that converge pointwise to a non integrable function f but such that [itex]\lim_n\int_Xf_n[/itex] converges.

The answer is provided by the old example of X=R, f(x)=sin(x)/x. It is fairly easy to show that [itex]\int_{\mathbb{R}}|f|=+\infty[/itex] by finding an appropriate sequence of step function bounded above by |f| and whose area makes up a diverging series.

But it is known that the sequence of (integrable) functions

[tex]f_n(x):=\chi_{[-n,n]}\frac{\sin(x)}{x}[/tex]

(which converge pointwise to f) are such that

[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\int_{\mathbb{R}}f_n=\pi[/tex]

(more difficult).

So, here is your counter-example.