Want to take the PE Mechanical exam

In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of preparing for the PE Mechanical exam after passing the FE exam. The individual was seeking recommendations for study materials and classes, and the conversation also touched on the requirement of having five years of engineering experience before acquiring the license. One suggestion was to use the "Mechanical Engineering Reference Manual for the PE Manual" and "Practice Problems for the Mechanical Engineering PE Exam" by Michael R. Lindeburg, PE.
AverageEngineer
Summary:: Passed the FE, ready to take the PE.

Hello,

I had recently passed the FE exam, ready to start studying for the PE Mechanical exam. Does anyone recommend any specific study material? I just recently purchased the PE Mechanical reference textbook and looking into purchasing some study materials, but not sure which ones.

Would you recommend taking a class? Someone suggested Test Masters , however looking at their website it looks like they don't have any live video courses available for the PE Mechanical. I know three PE's and they all told me taking the class is well worth the money.

I wanted to hear more suggestions before I get pretty serious in my studies.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have the required working time as EI to take the test?

Lnewqban said:
Do you have the required working time as EI to take the test?

Nope. You don’t need it though. You can take the exam right after taking your FE, however you can’t acquire the license until you have your five years of engineering experience.

Likes Lnewqban
In that case, I would recommend "Mechanical Engineering Reference Manual for the PE Manual", as well as "Practice Problems for the Mechanical Engineering PE Exam", both books written by Michael R. Lindeburg, PE.

1. What is the PE Mechanical exam?

The PE Mechanical exam is a professional engineering exam that tests your knowledge and skills in the mechanical engineering field. It is a requirement for obtaining a Professional Engineer (PE) license, which is necessary for practicing engineering in many industries.

2. Who is eligible to take the PE Mechanical exam?

In order to take the PE Mechanical exam, you must have a degree in mechanical engineering from an accredited university and a minimum of four years of relevant work experience. Some states may have additional requirements, so it is important to check with your state's licensing board.

3. What topics are covered on the PE Mechanical exam?

The PE Mechanical exam covers a wide range of topics, including thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, heat transfer, machine design, and materials. It also includes questions on engineering economics, ethics, and professional practices.

4. How should I prepare for the PE Mechanical exam?

It is recommended to start preparing for the PE Mechanical exam at least 6-8 months in advance. This can include studying your undergraduate textbooks, attending review courses, and practicing with sample questions and exams. It is also important to familiarize yourself with the exam format and rules.

5. What are the benefits of taking the PE Mechanical exam?

Passing the PE Mechanical exam and obtaining a PE license can open up many career opportunities and increase your earning potential. It also allows you to take on more challenging and responsible roles in the engineering field. Additionally, having a PE license can increase your credibility and professional reputation among clients and colleagues.