Wants ChemE job, loves Mechanical E curriculum

In summary, the conversation discusses a person's struggle with choosing between a major in Mechanical Engineering and Chemical Engineering. They have a passion for chemistry and a dream of becoming a brewmaster, but also enjoy the curriculum and well-rounded aspect of Mechanical Engineering. The conversation also includes advice on the issue, with one person suggesting that on-the-job training will expose them to the machinery aspect if they choose Chemical Engineering, while others recommend finding a job or internship that combines both fields.
zachucsd
Hello.
I am a sophomore in college trying to decide between majors
Mechanical Eng. and Chemical Eng.
This decision has been a lengthy introspective battle since graduating high school.

I have always enjoyed chemistry, notably chemical reactions especially in food and drinks and biology. I work as a barista and am passionate about tea and coffee.
I have a small dream that I would work as a brewmaster for a tea, wine or beer plant.
Basically I would love to work in a chemical engineering setting, designing a process or taking thermodynamic and quality measurements of reactors etc for biofuel or some cool product.

The problem is that I really love the mechanical engineering curriculum. It gives me a completely well-rounded curriculum including fluid mechanics, work with stress in solids, etc.
The Chemical eng. curriculum is principally focused on chemical process design and different applications to reactors and pipes and processes as well as economic feasibility. I would love all that curriculum but want to learn about so much more in solids, stress, and machinery.

Does anyone have any advice on the issue?

I am pretty sure some responses will tell me to suck it up and switch to chemical engineering and teach myself mechanical curriculum secondarily.

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting dilema. If you want to work as a process engineer, you'll definitely be exposed to the machinery aspect via on the job training. Maybe not the mechanics of materials and stress levels seen in the MechE curriculum, but definitely more than what is in your ChemE degree. ChemE should give you a very well rounded view on liquid systems through a plant - at least it has for me as a Senior about to graduate. Thermo, fluids (pumps, Navier Stokes), heat transfer (heat exchangers), mass transfer (distillation/membranes), transport phenomena (fluid, heat and mass trasfer review), kinetics (reactions and reactors)

To be honest, self-teaching MechE is stupid for an engineer planning to go into industry. Everything that is really important will be taught to you on the job. Finding that first full-time (or internship) that has a MechE emphasis as a ChemE student would be critical. However, you could throw your electives towards MechE, maybe get a minor

Hope that helps. I know this is an old post, but I saw ChemE, so I had to put in my 2¢

1. What is the difference between chemical engineering and mechanical engineering?

Chemical engineering focuses on the production and use of chemicals, while mechanical engineering deals with the design and operation of mechanical systems.

2. Can a chemical engineering graduate work in a mechanical engineering role?

Yes, a chemical engineering graduate can work in a mechanical engineering role. The curriculum for chemical engineering often includes courses in mechanical engineering, making it possible for graduates to have a strong foundation in both fields.

3. How can someone with a chemical engineering degree find a job in the mechanical engineering field?

One way to find a job in the mechanical engineering field with a chemical engineering degree is to highlight any relevant coursework or experience in mechanical engineering on your resume. Networking with professionals in the mechanical engineering industry can also be helpful in finding job opportunities.

4. Are there any specific skills or qualities that are important for a chemical engineer interested in a mechanical engineering job?

Some important skills and qualities for a chemical engineer interested in a mechanical engineering job include strong problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and the ability to work with complex systems. It can also be helpful to have a good understanding of mathematical and computational principles.

5. Are there any industries or fields that specifically require both chemical and mechanical engineering knowledge?

There are several industries and fields that require both chemical and mechanical engineering knowledge, such as the energy sector, pharmaceuticals, and biotechnology. Additionally, fields such as materials science and nanotechnology often require a combination of both chemical and mechanical engineering expertise.