Was I the only one not being able to reach the site?

• Complaint
  • Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
In summary, over the weekend, the Physics Forums website experienced technical difficulties due to a primary hard drive failure. This resulted in the site being down for approximately 30 hours. The issue has now been resolved and the site is back up and running. There may still be some minor issues that need to be addressed, but the team is working on optimizing configurations and troubleshooting any remaining problems. Users may also experience some issues with LaTeX libraries and PMs being included in the "your content" list. It is recommended to clear cache and cookies if these problems persist. Overall, the team worked tirelessly to restore the site and apologizes for any inconvenience caused.
Greg Bernhardt said:
Data center needs to claim the busted HD which is now slaved on the server. This means the server will be down about 30min Sat at 7pm CST.
I hope it doesn't turn into a whole day again. I don't think my F5 key could handle that two weeks in a row... :nb)

:headbang: <- artist's impression of me hitting refresh every five minutes at reasonable intervals last weekend.

Likes bhobba
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Data center needs to claim the busted HD which is now slaved on the server. This means the server will be down about 30min Sat at 7pm CST.
Time zone conversion: 1 day 1:30 after this post.

Edit: Fixed day.

Last edited:
Likes bhobba
mfb said:
Time zone conversion: 1:30 after this post.

Isn't that 25:30?

Likes fresh_42
Vanadium 50 said:
Isn't that 25:30?
Lol...

Am I the only one not getting e-mail notifications (from the forum only) for over 24hrs now? Greg, are you aware?

Stavros Kiri said:
Greg, are you aware?
LMAO...

Last edited:
Stavros Kiri said:
Am I the only one not getting e-mail notifications (from the forum only) for over 24hrs now? Greg, are you aware?
I see there is an issue

Greg Bernhardt said:
I see there is an issue
Just saw it or it's been? ...

OCR said:
LMAO...
Lol (I wouldn't risk my a** ...)
[Edit: just a "semantics" post ... nothing implied about Greg]

Last edited:
Likes bhobba
OCR said:
LMAO...
Noticed the editing ... Lol

Yep! Works now. Started getting e-mails ...
Greg must have done some magic!

Likes bhobba and Greg Bernhardt
Stavros Kiri said:
Same here... I’m assuming it’s normal so I’ll just wait.

doglover9754 said:
Emails are working again, I can see. If you are not getting notifications unwatch and then rewatch the thread.

Likes doglover9754
doglover9754 said:
It was fixed. Mine works

When Editing a post, the "Remove Formatting" button has no effect; the "Use BB Code Editor" button shows the post as entered, i.e. with the BB Codes shown rather than executed.

Or am I wrongly remembering 'The Way It Used To Be'?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Emails are working again, I can see. If you are not getting notifications unwatch and then rewatch the thread.
It works now. Thanks!

Tom.G said:
When Editing a post, the "Remove Formatting" button has no effect; the "Use BB Code Editor" button shows the post as entered, i.e. with the BB Codes shown rather than executed.

Or am I wrongly remembering 'The Way It Used To Be'?
I wasn’t here before so I have no clue... I can’t even find the button
T-T

doglover9754 said:
I wasn’t here before so I have no clue... I can’t even find the button
The button(s) in question appear in the upper right when you Edit one of your recent posts. I _thought_ the "Remove Formatting" button used to operate as the "Use BB Code Editor" button now operates. I haven't used the "Use BB Code Editor" when Editing, so I don't know its past function.

With 'before', I was referring to before the sight went offline a week ago.

Perhaps one of the site Guru's has an answer.

Likes doglover9754
Tom.G said:
The button(s) in question appear in the upper right when you Edit one of your recent posts. I _thought_ the "Remove Formatting" button used to operate as the "Use BB Code Editor" button now operates. I haven't used the "Use BB Code Editor" when Editing, so I don't know its past function.

Perhaps one of the site Guru's has an answer.
I think the BB button does what is expected and the Remove Formatting (RF) button never did anything. Ctrl+Z (or is it Ctrl+Y on an English keyboard?) does any reversals, so I can't really think of a function for this RF button.

Tom.G said:
When Editing a post, the "Remove Formatting" button has no effect
Make sure text is highlighted

fresh_42 said:
Remove Formatting (RF) button never did anything
Make some text bold. Highlight it and then click the remove formatting button.

Likes Stavros Kiri
Greg Bernhardt said:
Thanks for the tip. I always did the same by hitting the corresponding format button again.

Likes Stavros Kiri
Tom.G said:

Oh! Well thanks for the information! I learned something new today :P

fresh_42 said:
Thanks for the tip. I always did the same by hitting the corresponding format button again.
The remove formatting button is nice for bulk content with many different formats. You can remove it all in one go.

Likes Stavros Kiri and doglover9754
Greg Bernhardt said:
The remove formatting button is nice for bulk content with many different formats. You can remove it all in one go.
I should try that when I ask my confusing and long analytical questions

Greg Bernhardt said:

Ouch! Just tried that in this reply. Remove Formatting only changes the highlight color while depressed. Use BB Code gets rid of the banner at the top of the box that this is reply is created in, changes the box outline to Red, changes the text to Blue. This is decidedly different than what happens when Editing a post.
(3 alerts have popped up while typing this!)

Edit: Trying BB Codes while Editing This s/b Bold.

Referring to the following post by @Greg Bernhardt
Edit2: No, Use BB Codes does _not_ show codes and cancel WYSIWYG. It changes the displayed text to Blue, etc. and persists if no changes are made to the post.

Last edited:
Likes doglover9754
Tom.G said:
Use BB Code gets rid of the banner at the top of the box that this is reply is created in, changes the box outline to Red, changes the text to Blue.
"use bbcode" will show the tags instead of WYSIWYG

doglover9754 said:
I wasn’t here before...

B^D...!

:olduhh:... .

Last edited:
OCR said:
B^D...!

:olduhh:

Is that bad? T-T

@Greg Bernhardt See my edits to post #61. One of the buttons removed the bold codes in the first edit. I used to be able to, when editing, show the BB Codes, i.e. suppress the WYSIWYG. This allowed moving a BB Code or adding text after the Code field. Currently (as of yesterday) it is impossible to append clear text following the last closing BB Code.

Try Editing a post that has bold text, only select the Use BB Code button, and save it. Then Edit again.

Edit: bold (this string inserted by Editing. It should not be bold.)

Tom.G said:
Edit2: No, Use BB Codes does _not_ show codes and cancel WYSIWYG. It changes the displayed text to Blue, etc. and persists if no changes are made to the post.
hmmm this should not be so. It does change the text blue but should show the BB code. What browser/version are you using? Anyone have this issue?

Try clearing your cache. I did a small update yesterday, but should not have affected this.

test text

No, the blue color seems to be only in the BB editor.

doglover9754 said:
Is that bad? T-T

Lol, nope...

B^D → wide-eyed surprise.

upload_2018-3-12_21-40-39.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-12_21-40-39.png
    upload_2018-3-12_21-40-39.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
hmmm this should not be so. It does change the text blue but should show the BB code. What browser/version are you using? Anyone have this issue?
Firefox 43.0.1

I will Quote my Post#65 below then Edit #65 using only Use BB Code button with no other changes to see what happens.
Tom.G said:
@Greg Bernhardt See my edits to post #61. One of the buttons removed the bold codes in the first edit. I used to be able to, when editing, show the BB Codes, i.e. suppress the WYSIWYG. This allowed moving a BB Code or adding text after the Code field. Currently (as of yesterday) it is impossible to append clear text following the last closing BB Code.

Try Editing a post that has bold text, only select the Use BB Code button, and save it. Then Edit again.

Edit: bold (this string inserted by Editing. It should not be bold.)

Tom.G said:
Firefox 43.0.1
Why not... ?

upload_2018-3-12_21-45-2.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-12_21-45-2.png
    upload_2018-3-12_21-45-2.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 279
Likes Stavros Kiri