Wasp-76b is a planet where it rains iron

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter TaurusSteve
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iron Planet
In summary, the article discusses a new planet that is so close to its star that it only takes 43 hours to complete one revolution. The planet is covered in a layer of dihydrogen monoxide, and it rains molten hydrogen ash.
Nick-stg said:
If there would be oxidized aluminium falling from the sky. Would it not be more accurate to describe it as snowing? Oxidized aluminium is alumina a fine white powder.
I imagine that you know that what we in the US call aluminum oxide (as distinguished from what the Brits call 'aluminium' oxide -- same stuff; different spelling), is used as a pigment in some white paints, so maybe yes, 'snowing' might be more apropos than 'raining'. I was joking about a small difference between US English and Brit English regarding the orthography of the term for the element.

I think that it's not entirely Humphrey Davy's fault, although apparently he vacillated on the spelling of the name for the element that he had identified; it was the people pushing the agenda of 'ium' ending for names of elements instead of acceding to the wishes of the person who had isolated and characterized the element -- their fault too -- from https://www.thoughtco.com/aluminum-or-aluminium-3980635:
In 1808, Sir Humphry Davy identified the existence of the metal in alum, which he at first named "alumium" and later "aluminum." Davy proposed the name aluminum when referring to the element in his 1812 book Elements of Chemical Philosophy, despite his previous use of "alumium." The official name "aluminium" was adopted to conform with the -ium names of most other elements. The 1828 Webster's Dictionary used the "aluminum" spelling, which it maintained in later editions. In 1925, the American Chemical Society (ACS) decided to go from aluminium back to the original aluminum, putting the United States in the "aluminum" group. In recent years, the IUPAC had identified "aluminium" as the proper spelling, but it didn't catch on in North America, since the ACS used aluminum. The IUPAC periodic table presently lists both spellings and says both words are perfectly acceptable.​

I suppose that if ##\rm {Al_2O_3}## is descending from the sky, whether to call it rain or snow should depend at least in part on the temperature.

Last edited:
Likes Klystron
Astronomy news on Phys.org
sysprog said:
I suppose that if Al2O3Al2O3\rm {Al_2O_3} is descending from the sky, whether to cal it rain or snow should depend at least in part on the temperature.

TaurusSteve said:
its dayside temperatures exceed 2,400C

According to wikipedia alumina has a melting temp 2072C. Darn! I missed by 300C.

I knew the melting point was high. I guess the strategy of post first, check facts later has failed me again.

• Haha
Likes Dragrath, BillTre and sysprog
Nick-stg said:
I guess the strategy of post first, check facts later has failed me again.
No way man 'ready; fire; aim' always works for me . . .

• Love
Likes Nick-stg and BillTre
This will be Earth's fate about 6 billion years hence.

• Sad
Likes Keith_McClary
sysprog said:
I think that @russ_watters, if he's not too busy stargazing :wink: , might be able to answer that question better than I am able to answer it.
Isn't that Russ_dihydrogen_monoxide (with t added to make it a better drink) ?

• Haha
Likes BillTre
trurle said:
Warning! The "iron rain" on WASP-76 b is now refuted. Seems the confusion happened due light pollution from nearby star.
https://arxiv.org/pdf/2005.02374.pdf
Reading this through it hasn't been refuted per say since refuted is a strong word. Here there still seems to be a signal but it is just below the threshold for detection using the given spectrometer and telescope without the contamination of the systems K type companion star. There also is still strong signals of TiO and water but the Vanadium oxide signature has disappeared. I feel we need to be careful not to over-sensationalize or make preemptive claims. This is the sort of things that leads to confusion among the general public and results in their errosion of confidence in science as it "contradicts itself" I feel the uncertainty of observations need to be better conveyed so that things in that grey area are described as such.

Likes trurle