Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Watch batteries packaged in inert gas?

1. May 10, 2006 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I just opened a couple of watch batteries that were in blister packs. They are large batteries - the size of nickels. The blister 'popped' when I opened it, certainly it was air-tight.

There was a noticeable chemical odour that emanated from it when it was opened. Did this with both batteries.

I thought perhaps it was mere offgassing from whatever products were in the battery or the packaging, but I notice that there is no residual odour on the battery or packaging. Seconds after opening, I cannot smell it on them at all.

That makes me wonder if perhaps it was whatever gas was in the blister. Is it possible that they might use some sort of gas that wouldn't degrade the battery?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2006 #2
    If the blister was packed with some gas, it was most likely N2 (which is 79% of atmospheric air, but wont have any of the dust and other contaminants that air would). The smell you are talking about is prob just the battery chemicals, because N2 doesnt have a smell. N2 isn't an inert gas, but its very stable and is used alot for venting in vacuum chambers for example, since it is so similar to atmospheric air.

4. May 21, 2006 #3

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep it's commonplace to use some kind of gas. Tablets/pills are usually blister packed under nitrogen or carbon dioxide. I suppose they just want to keep the product clean, and prevent it oxidising. Perhaps you could smell a bit of lubricant from the gas supply system?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?