Watching a wavefunction gradually collapse

In summary, a recent paper titled "Progressive field-state collapse and quantum non-demolition photon counting" reports an experiment observing the gradual collapse of a quantum wavefunction to a single classical value during a measurement process. The experiment, published in Nature, shows that by measuring the light-induced alterations in the clock rate of microscopic atoms crossing a cavity, information is progressively extracted until the initially uncertain photon number converges to an integer. The procedure illustrates the postulates of quantum measurement and raises questions about the interpretation of the results and whether they can be explained without an explicit measurement process.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
some very beautiful experimental work, observing the progressive collapse of a a wavefunction.

beautiful illustrations too

I didn't see this discussed here so decided to start a thread on it

Here's the abstract

http://arxiv.org/abs/0707.3880
Progressive field-state collapse and quantum non-demolition photon counting
Christine Guerlin (LKB - Lhomond), Julien Bernu (LKB - Lhomond), Samuel Deléglise (LKB - Lhomond), Clément Sayrin (LKB - Lhomond), Sébastien Gleyzes (LKB - Lhomond), Stefan Kuhr (LKB - Lhomond), Michel Brune (LKB - Lhomond), Jean-Michel Raimond (LKB - Lhomond), Serge Haroche (LKB - Lhomond)
(Submitted on 26 Jul 2007)

"The irreversible evolution of a microscopic system under measurement is a central feature of quantum theory. From an initial state generally exhibiting quantum uncertainty in the measured observable, the system is projected into a state in which this observable becomes precisely known. Its value is random, with a probability determined by the initial system's state. The evolution induced by measurement (known as 'state collapse') can be progressive, accumulating the effects of elementary state changes. Here we report the observation of such a step-by-step collapse by measuring non-destructively the photon number of a field stored in a cavity. Atoms behaving as microscopic clocks cross the cavity successively. By measuring the light-induced alterations of the clock rate, information is progressively extracted, until the initially uncertain photon number converges to an integer. The suppression of the photon number spread is demonstrated by correlations between repeated measurements. The procedure illustrates all the postulates of quantum measurement (state collapse, statistical results and repeatability) and should facilitate studies of non-classical fields trapped in cavities."

ZapperZ has listed this paper in the excellent "Recent Noteworthy" bibliography thread,
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1407933&postcount=52

Chad Orzel has some helpful intuitive discussion of it at his blog.
http://scienceblogs.com/principles/2007/09/watching_wavefunctions_collaps.php[/URL]

It was published in Nature, available as pay-per-view
[url]http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v448/n7156/abs/nature06057.html[/url]

If you have never seen a quantum wavefunction gradually collapsing down to a single classical value during the duration of a protracted measurment process then this will be an eye-opener.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this consistent with unitary time evolution?

I'm surprised this paper hasn't generated more discussion here -- I was amazed when I first saw it. I have only just now joined Physics Forums or I would have commented last year. If it is discussed on another thread, someone please direct me there. I am eager to hear others' opinions about this beautiful experiment, particularly about its interpretation.

The question that first strikes me is something along the lines of this: Are we watching some behavior that can be explained without an explicit measurement process? Or does it require some non-unitary time behavior to explain?

In other words, could we construct some wave function model (perhaps like the one in the paper by Allahverdyan et. al., arXiv:quant-ph/0702135v2) where enough interactions with a complicated (but still fully quantum mechanical!) measuring apparatus would show the critical behavior of one photon number state growing more probable than the others? Or is there no way that we will see this behavior with wave functions unless we have some wave function collapse (or "projection" or "measurement event" or whatever word you'd use) included in the model?

It is a beautiful experimental demonstration of one of the most fundamental and mysterious aspects of quantum mechanics - the collapse of a wavefunction.

The concept of a wavefunction collapse was introduced by Niels Bohr and Werner Heisenberg in the early 20th century to explain the probabilistic nature of quantum measurements. It is a central feature of quantum theory and is responsible for the seemingly random outcomes of measurements on quantum systems.

This experiment, carried out by Christine Guerlin and her colleagues, provides a visual representation of this collapse. By non-destructively measuring the photon number of a field stored in a cavity, they are able to observe the gradual reduction of uncertainty in the measured observable. This is done by measuring the alterations in the clock rate of atoms passing through the cavity, which provides information about the photon number in the cavity.

The results of this experiment not only demonstrate the progressive collapse of a wavefunction, but also confirm the postulates of quantum measurement - state collapse, statistical results, and repeatability. It is a significant step towards further understanding the mysterious world of quantum mechanics and its implications for our understanding of the universe.

Overall, this is a beautiful and important experimental work that adds to our understanding of quantum mechanics and its fundamental principles. It is truly fascinating to witness the gradual collapse of a wavefunction and I look forward to seeing further research in this area.

1. What is a wavefunction collapse?

A wavefunction collapse is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where a particle's wave-like behavior is reduced to a single point or state. This occurs when the particle is observed or measured, causing it to "collapse" into a specific position or value.

2. How does a wavefunction collapse happen?

A wavefunction collapse is a result of the act of observation. When a particle is observed or measured, the observer gains information about its position or state, causing the wavefunction to collapse into a specific outcome.

3. Can a wavefunction collapse be predicted?

No, a wavefunction collapse cannot be predicted or controlled. The collapse is considered a random event, and the exact outcome cannot be determined beforehand.

4. What happens to the wavefunction after it collapses?

After a wavefunction collapses, it remains in its collapsed state until it is observed or measured again. The collapse is irreversible, and the particle's behavior is now determined by its specific position or state.

5. Is wavefunction collapse the only interpretation of quantum mechanics?

No, wavefunction collapse is one interpretation of quantum mechanics, known as the Copenhagen interpretation. Other interpretations, such as the Many-Worlds interpretation, propose that the wavefunction does not collapse, but rather branches off into multiple parallel universes.