Water and Le Chatelier's Principle

In summary, the addition of water in the given reaction will shift the equilibrium to the left, favoring the reactants. This is because the increase in product concentration and decrease in reactant concentration have the same effect on shifting the equilibrium to the left. However, the change in concentration of one of the products, [CoCl42-], may affect the direction of the shift. To determine the effect, one can compare the reaction quotient (Q) and equilibrium constant (K). Generally, in reactions where water is a product, it will favor the product side and shift the equilibrium to the right. However, this may not always be the case and it is important to compare Q and K in each specific scenario.
i_love_science
Homework Statement
[Co(H2O)6]2+(aq) + 4Cl−(aq) <-> CoCl42−(aq) + 6H2O(l)
Relevant Equations
equilibrium
I think that adding water here shifts the reaction to the left in favour of reactants (since the amount of product is increased). This will also decrease the concentration of [Co(H2O)6]2+, Cl-, and CoCl42− too (dilution), but I'm not sure how much that would affect the direction that the reaction shifts to. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
i_love_science said:
Homework Statement:: [Co(H2O)6]2+(aq) + 4Cl−(aq) <-> CoCl42−(aq) + 6H2O(l)
Relevant Equations:: equilibrium

I think that adding water here shifts the reaction to the left in favour of reactants (since the amount of product is increased). This will also decrease the concentration of [Co(H2O)6]2+, Cl-, and CoCl42− too (dilution), but I'm not sure how much that would affect the direction that the reaction shifts to. Thanks.

increasing the product concentration and decreasing the reactant concentration have the same effect of shifting the equilibrium to the left, so you are finished.

docnet said:
increasing the product concentration and decreasing the reactant concentration have the same effect of shifting the equilibrium to the left, so you are finished.
But the concentration of one of the products (CoCl42-) also decreases. So does this not change the combined effect of decrease in all reactant concentration and increase in amount of one product?

After looking at the reaction more carefully, I actually think you should not look at H2O on the right side as a product. In this reaction, H2O is the solvent and we assume there is plenty of it to start with. This is a "precipitation" reaction where it makes sense for the equilibrium to shift to the right when adding more water (solvent) as you just explained.

https://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/genchem/demosheets/12.10.html

Likes Chestermiller
LeChatelier's principle is quite limited and its predictions are sometimes problematic. In this case I would use reaction quotient to see how it changes with the dilution.

This is actually quite simple. Assume the reaction was at equilibrium, so the Q=K, add water to double the volume - concentrations of all substances but water decrease twice. What is the new Q? If it is lower than K, reaction will proceed to the right, if it is higher than K, reaction will proceed to the left.

OP, try to use the subscript and superscript functions when writing formulae (in the 3 dots menu above the reply box). There is no such thing as CoCl42- or CoCl42-, but it sure looks as if you meant one of them!

Thanks.
I want to know if this is a fixed rule. When water is a product, does it always shift the reaction to left, or is this variable (or should I just compare Q and K every time)?

i_love_science said:
Thanks.
I want to know if this is a fixed rule. When water is a product, does it always shift the reaction to left, or is this variable (or should I just compare Q and K every time)?

I would just compare ##Q## and ##K## every time, in that process you are required to be more exact and mathematical, and in the process you have to decide whether water is a product or not.

That's an interesting question though, because water tends to be a very stable molecule and a very good solvent. As such, water is usually the solvent in many chemical reactions, and not the reactant or product. Where water is a product of a reaction, it is often part of irreversible and highly exothermic gaseous reactions. For example, a reaction of hydrogen and oxygen
$$O_{2(g)}+2H_{2(g)}=2H_{2}O_{(l)}$$
is one of many many reactions that highly favor the product side. All this reaction requires is a spark, and a radical reaction propagates until essentially all of one or both of the gases are depleted. The reverse reaction does not occur without a significant source of energy to break the ##H-O## bonds. i tried to find counterexamples.

In this case water is both product and solvent so changes in its amount change both equilibrium and concentration of substances involved (actually the only thing that doesn't change is the water concentration :smile: ).

What is water and why is it important?

Water is a chemical compound made up of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom. It is essential for all known forms of life and plays a crucial role in many chemical reactions and processes.

What is Le Chatelier's Principle?

Le Chatelier's Principle is a fundamental principle in chemistry that states that when a system at equilibrium is subjected to a change, it will adjust itself to minimize the effect of that change and maintain equilibrium.

How does Le Chatelier's Principle apply to water?

Le Chatelier's Principle applies to water in various ways, such as changes in temperature, pressure, and concentration. For example, if the temperature of water is increased, the equilibrium will shift towards the endothermic reaction in order to absorb the excess heat and maintain equilibrium.

What are the factors that can affect the equilibrium of water?

The factors that can affect the equilibrium of water include temperature, pressure, and the concentrations of the reactants and products. Changes in these factors can cause the equilibrium to shift in order to maintain a balance between the reactants and products.

How can Le Chatelier's Principle be used to control the properties of water?

Le Chatelier's Principle can be used to control the properties of water by manipulating the factors that affect its equilibrium. For example, by increasing the pressure, we can cause more water molecules to dissolve in the liquid, making it more concentrated. Similarly, by increasing the temperature, we can speed up the reaction between water and other substances, altering its properties.