1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water displaced against surface area

1. Apr 17, 2010 #1
    If 2 differently shaped objects are submerged in water, say one is rectangular and other spherical, and both displaces the same volume of water, would the surface area of both objects be the same?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I don't see how water is relevant here.

Basically you are asking if two objects of the same volume have the same surface.

Let's see - calculate volume and surface of two cuboids. One 3x3x3 and the other 1x1x27.

4. Apr 17, 2010 #3
    Thanks, what is given actually is the water displacement of a ship and I must find out the surface area of the hull below waterline. But hull shapes design vary according to vessel application. So what you're saying is surface area can be computed given the water displacement of the hull regardless of its shape.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  5. Apr 17, 2010 #4

Borek

What I am saying is try to calculate volume and surface of two given cuboids. Do it.

--
    methods

6. Apr 17, 2010 #5
    cuboids 3x3x3 and 1x1x27 have the same volume but different surface areas. check your math

7. Apr 17, 2010 #6
    no.........

8. Apr 17, 2010 #7

Borek

I have never said they have identical surface & volume. However, now you should be able to answer your question from the very first post:

9. Apr 17, 2010 #8
    Consider the huge surface area of a steel-wool pad. It will displace much less water than a steel sphere of equal volume. Water displacement is *not* related to surface area.

10. Apr 17, 2010 #9

Borek

Define surface area of steel-wool pad.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook