Water flow from Tank B to Tank C sizing questions

• Thread starter nudgemar
  • Start date
Brief description: I have a three tank system (A,B,C). Tank A is fitted with stand pipes with the over flow flowing down and then up through the bottom of a 1" bulkhead fitting and into Tank B. Tank B is approx. 12' x 2' x 12". At the end of Tank B is another 1" bulkhead fitting with the exit water going through 1" flex pipe down to the ground (2.5'), along the ground a distance of 5' and connected to the bottom side of a 1" bulkhead in Tank C. Tank B and C are the same level off the ground. The opposite end of Tank C has a bulkhead fitting with the exit water going down to the ground over to a pump and pumped back into Tank A.

I'd like to use just one pump and gravity to move the water from Tank A to B to C. Water leaving Tank C going back to Tank A doesn't seem to be a problem (other than I have to throttle back the flow). And Water flow from Tank A to Tank B seems to be ok. The issue is getting the water from Tank B to Tank C.

How can I increase the flow from Tank B to Tank C? Would a larger bulkhead fitting and transfer pipe work? I would like to use the principle that the water levels itself out between tanks kept at the same height.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Answers and Replies

anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
How can I increase the flow from Tank B to Tank C? Would a larger bulkhead fitting and transfer pipe work? I would like to use the principle that the water levels itself out between tanks kept at the same height.
Yes, if you increase the size of bulkheads and pipes, C and B will balance their levels more quickly.