Water leaking through floor below balcony

• Thread starter Tusike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary: The flashing seems OK, but it would be good to confirm. There is drainage on the balcony but I'm not sure if it goes beyond the balcony. The roof does not continue on the sides of the balcony (more joints), the balcony has pitch to allow run-off, and the tiles and shingles of the roof surrounding the balcony are weather sealed.
Tusike
Hi!

We have a balcony above our kitchen, and the tiles have been replaced about 7-8 years ago, with some sort of sealant added. However, due to the rain and more probably snow, water has somehow leaked through all that, and now the ceiling above the kitchen is starting to come down and is soaked with water (but water isn't dripping or anything, it's just soaked). It probably won't start crashing down, but still it's best to do something before that happens.
One of the ideas was to put a roof above the balcony, so not that much rain & snow would fall on it, and that would supposedly solve the problem. However, I as a kid don't want that to happen, because it's great to lay outside in the sun during summer, sleep outside, gaze at the stars etc... and the roof would ruin pretty much everything we do on the balcony. So, if anyone has any experience or ideas regarding this, please help me! I'm sure there's another affordable solution besides putting a roof over it.

Thanks for any advice,
-Tusike

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't understand exactly how the structure is. You said you have a balcony above your kitchen, you mean flat roof? When you say tiles you mean floor tiles not roof tiles, right? Can you upload a photo?

Sounds like you need to take a hard look at drainage on the balcony and you'll need to do a better job of sealing it, possibly with a sealed pan.

Hi! Sorry for the late reply, I got a bit sidetracked.

Anyway, it seems I was a bit unclear. What I meant was, imagine the roof (upside down V shaped, not flat) above a house, then suddenly it stops but the first level still continues, having a balcony or terrace or whatever you call it go out into the open. Below it on the ground floor is the kitchen.

Here's a picture of the outside of the balcony: http://www.mediafire.com/i/?0hrfg6ctjwfj4aj"

And the picture of the ceiling of the kitchen below what you can see: http://www.mediafire.com/i/?yljro19499dloja"

I'm told it was sealed and it seems pretty sealed to me... Although of course I'm no expert. So I guess that would be the most sensible solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
How far elevated is the roof edge from the balcony? Even a crappy paint schematic would help here. Water will find a way to get in any opening, especially after a winter with a lot of snow and ice dams.

Are you confident the flashing is OK at the building/balcony interface? If this is insufficient, water is can get through these joints. Do you have gutters on the roof to divert water away from the balcony? Is there any drainage on the balcony itself?

Does the balcony have any pitch to allow run-off? Does the roof continue on the sides of the balcony (more joints)? What's the weather-sealing like underneath the tiles and the shingles of the roof surrounding the balcony -- I'm assuming it does not go beyond where the balcony begins, from your description?

A paint schematic or photo of the exterior would be helpful.

1. What could be causing water to leak through the floor below my balcony?

There are several potential causes for water leaking through the floor below a balcony. It could be due to improper installation or damage to the balcony waterproofing membrane, cracks or gaps in the balcony structure, or clogged drainage systems. It is best to consult a professional to determine the exact cause and appropriate solution.

2. How can I prevent water from leaking through my balcony floor?

To prevent water from leaking through your balcony floor, it is important to regularly inspect and maintain the balcony structure and waterproofing membrane. Additionally, make sure to keep the balcony drains clear of debris and ensure proper slope for water drainage. If you notice any signs of damage or leaks, address them immediately to prevent further issues.

3. Is water leaking through my balcony floor a serious problem?

Water leaking through a balcony floor can be a serious problem if left untreated. It can lead to structural damage, mold growth, and potential safety hazards. It is important to address the issue as soon as possible to prevent further damage and potential health risks.

4. Can I fix a water leak through my balcony floor on my own?

The cause and severity of the water leak will determine whether it can be fixed on your own or if you need to hire a professional. If the cause is a simple fix, such as unclogging a drain, you may be able to address it on your own. However, if the issue is more complex, it is best to consult a professional for proper and effective repairs.

5. How much does it cost to repair a water leak through a balcony floor?

The cost of repairing a water leak through a balcony floor can vary depending on the cause, severity, and location of the leak. It is best to get a professional assessment and quote to determine the specific cost for your situation. It is important to address the issue as soon as possible to prevent further damage and potential higher costs in the future.