Can a Metal Solar Still Provide Clean Water in Any Weather?

In summary, this device can be used to distill water or ethanol. It is legal to use it for water only.
caters
I had an idea about how to make an almost all metal solar still.

Here is my idea:

Take metal and shape it into a wide and shallow bowl.
Put an insulator on both sides of the metal so that the heat stays inside.

Take some pipe and put it above the bowl.
Take coiled pipe and put it in a metal container filled with cold stuff like ice for example.
Put a spigot at the very end where you have a quart or gallon bucket to collect the water.

This can be built during a sunny day and as long as the weather ranges from it being mostly overcast with sun peaking through the clouds to mostly sunny the sun does its job of heating the water. The bowl there collects rain and if there is a storm it might overflow a little but that gives water to plants and a little bit more water won't hurt if you have well draining soil so that is a plus. You also might need more buckets on sunny days after a storm.

The reason it needs to be wide and shallow is that if you have it deep it will take longer to fill and distill but narrow will make it take just a few minutes to overflow and you don't want that. It being shallow means that yes it is more likely to overflow than deep but it won't take as long to distill which is key to survival and it being wide means more surface area and volume which means that it fills up slower but again will distill quickly.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm a solar still that uses ice.:confused:

Hey caters :smile:!

Can you draw a picture of this? I'm confused, and having a hard time "seeing" it.

Are stills legal?

for water yes.

If you use it for ethanol it is illegal unless you have a permit but I use it for water and water only so I have no problem with permits.

1. What is a solar still?

A solar still is a device that uses the sun's energy to purify water by converting liquid water into water vapor through evaporation, and then condensing the vapor back into liquid form for consumption.

2. How does a solar still work?

A solar still works by using the sun's energy to heat up and evaporate liquid water, leaving behind impurities. The vapor then rises and condenses on the inside of the still's surface, which is angled to allow the water to drip down into a collection container.

3. What materials are needed to build a solar still?

The materials needed to build a solar still may vary, but some common components include a container for the water, a clear plastic or glass cover, a collection container, and a reflective surface to direct sunlight onto the still. You may also need some adhesives and tools for assembly.

4. Is a solar still an effective way to purify water?

Yes, a solar still can be an effective way to purify water, especially in areas where access to clean water is limited. It does not require any electricity or chemicals, making it a sustainable and environmentally friendly option.

5. Are there any limitations to using a solar still?

While a solar still can effectively purify water, it may not be suitable for all water sources, such as heavily contaminated or saltwater. It also works best in sunny and warm climates, so it may not be as effective in colder or cloudy regions.