1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave constructive and/or destructive interference question

1. Oct 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    https://portal.utoronto.ca/courses/1/Fall-2014-PHY100H5-F-LEC0101/ppg/quiz%2061016132114/f1q2g1.jpg

The figure shows two sets of water waves, created by two sources labeled "A" and "B." The solid half-circles represent wave crests from A, and the dashed half-circles represent wave crests from B. Suppose that individual wave crests from either source A or source B alone are 5 mm above the level of the undisturbed water. Then the displacement of the water [above or below the level of the undisturbed water] at the point marked "x" [with the arrow pointing toward it] is

A.) -10 mm.
    B.) 0 mm.
    C.) +5 mm.
    D.) +10 mm.
    E.) -5 mm.

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think it would be E.) -5mm because if we are just taking one wave set alone (either A or B) then there would be no interference from the other wave set and if the displacement from rest is 5mm then the opposite displacement must be equal in magnitude...? But I don't actually know...I'm just thinking it out....would you please correct me if I'm wrong? Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2014 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

I cannot see your figure. Could you check to see that it was attached properly?

4. Oct 16, 2014 #3

RUber

Homework Helper

Although I cannot see the picture, here is a hint. You can add the wave effects together. So, if x lies on a wave crest from A, (+5mm), and the midpoint between crests from B (-5mm), then the total displacement at x would be 0.

5. Oct 20, 2014 #4
    Hello,

Yes, unfortunately there was no way to upload the image but thank you for your help...it actually helped me get the answer! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted