Double Slit Wave Interference Question

In summary, the question asks about the distance from the central axis to the second order dark bands in a fringe pattern produced by blue light passing through parallel slits. Using the equations sin θ = (m + 0.5) λ/d and y = L tan θ, the angle formed between the central axis and the second order dark band is 0.46 degrees and the distance between the central bright fringe and the second order dark band is 0.016 m or 16 mm. The textbook answer of 38 mm cannot be achieved using these calculations.
chudzoik

Homework Statement

Blue light (λ = 482 nm) is directed through parallel slits separated by 0.15 mm. A fringe pattern appears on a ascreen 2.00 m away. How far from the central axis on either side are the second order dark bands?

λ = 4.82 x 10-7 m
d = 1.5 x10-4 m
L = 2.00 m
m = 2
y= ?

Homework Equations

sin θ = (m + 0.5) λ/d
y = L tan θ

The Attempt at a Solution

I used m = 2 (second order dark bands) and used the first equation which gave me the angle formed between the central axis and the second order dark band, which came out to be 0.46 degrees. I then used the second formula, which is the formula for the distance between the central bright fringe and any point on the screen, which gave me 0.016 m or 16 mm. The textbook says 38 mm, but I'm sure I've done it correctly

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your calc checks out.
I took m = 0 as being the first order dark fringe and m = 1 as the second order, which works out to 9.6 mm.
I don't see any way to get 38!

1. What is double slit wave interference?

Double slit wave interference is a phenomenon that occurs when a wave, such as light or sound, passes through two closely spaced slits and produces a pattern of alternating bright and dark bands on a screen or surface behind the slits.

2. How does double slit wave interference occur?

Double slit wave interference occurs when a wave passes through two closely spaced slits, causing the wave to diffract. This diffraction causes the wave to spread out and interfere with itself, resulting in the alternating bright and dark bands on the screen.

3. What factors affect double slit wave interference?

The factors that affect double slit wave interference include the wavelength of the wave, the distance between the two slits, and the distance between the slits and the screen. These factors can alter the pattern of interference and the distance between the bright and dark bands.

4. What is the difference between single slit and double slit interference?

Single slit interference occurs when a wave passes through a single slit, resulting in a single diffraction pattern. Double slit interference, on the other hand, occurs when a wave passes through two closely spaced slits and produces a more complex interference pattern with multiple bright and dark bands.

5. What are the practical applications of double slit wave interference?

Double slit wave interference has practical applications in many fields, such as optics, acoustics, and electronics. It is used in interferometers to measure small changes in distance, in spectroscopy to analyze the properties of light, and in diffraction gratings to separate light into its component colors. It is also used in the study of quantum mechanics and has played a crucial role in our understanding of the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.