1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Slit Wave Interference Question

1. Jan 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Blue light (λ = 482 nm) is directed through parallel slits separated by 0.15 mm. A fringe pattern appears on a ascreen 2.00 m away. How far from the central axis on either side are the second order dark bands?

λ = 4.82 x 10-7 m
    d = 1.5 x10-4 m
    L = 2.00 m
    m = 2
    y= ?

2. Relevant equations

sin θ = (m + 0.5) λ/d
    y = L tan θ

3. The attempt at a solution

I used m = 2 (second order dark bands) and used the first equation which gave me the angle formed between the central axis and the second order dark band, which came out to be 0.46 degrees. I then used the second formula, which is the formula for the distance between the central bright fringe and any point on the screen, which gave me 0.016 m or 16 mm. The textbook says 38 mm, but I'm sure I've done it correctly

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2012 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Your calc checks out.
    I took m = 0 as being the first order dark fringe and m = 1 as the second order, which works out to 9.6 mm.
    I don't see any way to get 38!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook