Wave of an outgoing anti-particle in quantum field theory?

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the canonical quantization of a scalar field in the context of studying the Quantum Field Theory. The textbook mentions that terms with ei(p⋅x - Ept) are associated with an incoming particle and terms with ei(-p⋅x + Ept) are for an outgoing anti-particle. The speaker has always believed that ei(p⋅x - Ept) represents an incoming wave and ei(-p⋅x + Ept) represents an outgoing wave, but upon further examination, they realize that both expressions result in the same wave. They suspect that they have misunderstood some concepts and ask for clarification. The textbook alludes to Dirac's sea interpretation,
goodphy
Hello.

I'm studying a course of the Quantum Field Theory and I got a question in a canonical quantization of a scalar field.

I don't write a full expression of the field quantization here but the textbook said terms with ei(p⋅x - Ept) are associated with an incoming particle and terms with ei(-p⋅x + Ept) are for an outgoing anti-particle (p is positive). Here, natural units are used so 3-dimensional momentum vector p is equal to the wavenumber.

Since my undergraduate student years, I have always agreed that ei(p⋅x - Ept) is a complex expression of an incoming (going right) wave since Re[ei(p⋅x - Ept)] = cos(p⋅x-Ept), which is obviously right-going wave. I thought If the wave of the particle (ex: an eigenfunction of the particle in the Quantum mechanics) propagates to the right, the particle itself really goes to the right.

However, If I take real part of ei(-p⋅x + Ept) (it is a phase factor of terms for the outgoing anti-particle) to see how a wave of the outgoing anti-particle propagates, Re[ei(-p⋅x + Ept)] = cos(-p⋅x+Ept)=cos(p⋅x-Ept), which is same to that of the incoming particle!

I think I have some misunderstood concepts in my mind but I don't know what it is.
Could you please tell me what was I wrong?

The textbook is sloppy and alludes to Dirac's sea interpretation of the negative energy solution in his (or the corresponding scalar) equation. In quantum field theory proper, however, there is no Dirac sea and the antiparticles have their own associated wave functions that behave as intuition (including yours) require.

Likes goodphy

What is a wave of an outgoing anti-particle in quantum field theory?

A wave of an outgoing anti-particle in quantum field theory refers to the behavior of a particle's anti-particle counterpart as it travels away from the source of the particle.

What is the significance of studying the wave of an outgoing anti-particle in quantum field theory?

Studying the wave of an outgoing anti-particle in quantum field theory allows scientists to better understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and the behavior of particles and anti-particles. It also has applications in fields such as particle physics and cosmology.

How is the wave of an outgoing anti-particle different from the wave of an incoming anti-particle?

The wave of an outgoing anti-particle is characterized by a positive energy, while the wave of an incoming anti-particle has a negative energy. Additionally, the wave of an outgoing anti-particle is associated with the annihilation of a particle and an anti-particle, while the wave of an incoming anti-particle is associated with the creation of a particle and an anti-particle.

Can the wave of an outgoing anti-particle be observed in experiments?

Yes, the wave of an outgoing anti-particle can be indirectly observed through various experiments, such as scattering experiments and particle accelerators. The behavior of the wave can also be inferred from the properties of particles and anti-particles, such as their charge and spin.

What is the mathematical representation of the wave of an outgoing anti-particle in quantum field theory?

In quantum field theory, the wave of an outgoing anti-particle is represented by a complex conjugate of the wave function of the corresponding particle. This is known as the anti-particle field and is an essential component of the mathematical framework of quantum mechanics.