Wave propagation with water moving

In summary, the author suggests that if the water is moving faster than the velocity of the waves, then the fish will feel the wave first. If the water is not moving faster than the velocity of the waves, then the fish will stay in place.
fish.frog

Homework Statement

Suppose a person is fishing and is bobbing the fishing pole in constant intervals, there are 2 fish in the water located in the same distance L from the fishing pole (the source of the wave).
Suppose also the water is moving from A to B. Which fish will feel the wave first?
Snapshot.jpg

Homework Equations

& The attempt at a solution[/B]
Firstly I hope the problem statement is clear as it was translated. Do you believe the answer is uniquely determined? To me it seems to depend on the velocity of the water and the the period Of the wave.
If only one wave was created and the water was moving with the fish with it, both fish would feel the wave in the same time.
But if the water was moving fast, with the appropriate period of the wave, you might create a situation where fish A would get hit by the second wave before the first wave. (Perhaps by hitting the fish with the hook of the fishing pole)

The answer given is both fish would feel the wave in the same time by considering the reference frame of the water. But does this answer really considers the case I gave?

Physics news on Phys.org
fish.frog said:
But if the water was moving fast, with the appropriate period of the wave, you might create a situation where fish A would get hit by the second wave before the first wave.
You can assume that the water is not moving faster than the velocity of the waves.

Also, I think the fish stay in place.

In addition to what mfb said, don't think of every exception to the answer. Think about the most likely situation (which would not include the water moving faster than the velocity of the waves). I used to think about these kind of problems too hard, and my science teacher got really mad.

mfb said:
You can assume that the water is not moving faster than the velocity of the waves.

Also, I think the fish stay in place.
mfb, I agree with your first advice above, but I'm not so sure about the second. Anybody who goes angling in streams will be aware that fish do tend to swim against the current so as to stay more-or-less in one spot for a while, but that does not necessarily apply to the author of the puzzle. I have a nasty feeling it may be intended as a trick question.

1. What is wave propagation with water moving?

Wave propagation with water moving refers to the way in which waves travel through a body of water. This can include ocean waves, lake waves, and even waves in smaller bodies of water such as swimming pools. It is an important concept in understanding the behavior of water and its impact on coastal areas, marine life, and other natural phenomena.

2. How do waves propagate in water?

Waves propagate in water through a combination of horizontal and vertical motion. As the wind blows over the surface of the water, it creates small ripples that eventually grow into larger waves. The energy from the wind is transferred to the water, causing it to move up and down as the wave passes through. This motion continues until the wave reaches the shore or dissipates in the open water.

3. What factors affect wave propagation with water moving?

There are several factors that can affect wave propagation with water moving. These include wind speed and direction, water depth, and the shape and slope of the shoreline. The characteristics of the water itself, such as its density and viscosity, also play a role in how waves propagate. Additionally, the presence of obstacles such as rocks or other structures can impact the movement of waves.

4. How does wave height change as waves propagate?

As waves propagate, their height can change due to various factors. In shallow water, waves tend to increase in height and decrease in length as the bottom of the body of water interferes with the wave motion. In deeper water, waves can travel faster and maintain their height and length. Wind speed and direction can also impact wave height, as strong winds can create larger and more powerful waves.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding wave propagation with water moving?

Understanding wave propagation with water moving has important applications in a variety of industries. For example, coastal engineers use this knowledge to design structures such as breakwaters and jetties to protect shorelines from erosion. Marine biologists study the effects of wave motion on marine life and ecosystems. And surfers and sailors use their understanding of wave propagation to navigate and enjoy the ocean safely.