Wave Speed Dependency on Distance from Top of Hanging Rope

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
BryMan92
Messages
18
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The question asks:
There is a rope, of length l, and of mass m hanging from the ceiling. What is the wavespeed dependency on z, the distance from the top?



Homework Equations


I used:

V=(FL/M)^(1/2)



The Attempt at a Solution



V=(m(Z/L)gl/m)^1/2=sqrt(zg)
The answer is:
SQRT((l-z)g)

I do not know how to attain this answer, and any help would be great! Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Uppercase and lowercase letters generally represent different variables. Stick with using one or the other. Don't switch between them randomly.

According to your work, the tension F in the rope is equal to m(z/l)g. That means at the top where z=0, the tension is F(z=0)=0, and at the bottom, where z=l, the tension is F(z=l)=mg. Does that sound right?
 
vela said:
Uppercase and lowercase letters generally represent different variables. Stick with using one or the other. Don't switch between them randomly.

According to your work, the tension F in the rope is equal to m(z/l)g. That means at the top where z=0, the tension is F(z=0)=0, and at the bottom, where z=l, the tension is F(z=l)=mg. Does that sound right?

My thought process was, that if I have, say L = 10, and Z= 3, that would mean, I would have only have 3/10(mg)...but now that I think about it, that actually means I have 7/10(mg) because the tension is holding 7/10 of the rope. Can I think of it as if I hold my finger at a point z, what is below it is the mass of the string? Thank you!
 
Last edited:
Imagine cutting the rope at a distance z from the top. Draw the free-body diagram for the bottom part of the rope and then solve for F.
 
vela said:
Imagine cutting the rope at a distance z from the top. Draw the free-body diagram for the bottom part of the rope and then solve for F.

Gotcha, thank you very much for your help! :D