1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waves in a vertical hanging string

1. Jan 29, 2015 #1
    I want to make sure I have this right before I move on to the rest of this problem!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A string with mas M and length L is hanging freely and the mass is uniformly distributed along its length.

2. Relevant equations

a: Fend the tension in the string as a function of x, M, L , and g

b: Show that speed of transverse wave v is x dependent and find v as a function of x, M, L, and g.

c:

3. The attempt at a solution

a: ##F_{T}=\frac{L-x}{L}Mg##

b: ##v=\sqrt{\frac{F_{T}}{\mu }}=\sqrt{\frac{\frac{L-x}{L}Mg}{\frac{M}{L}}}=\sqrt{\frac{L(L-x)g}{L}}=\sqrt{(L-x)g}##

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Looks right. (Assuming x is measured from the top :)

4. Jan 29, 2015 #3

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

It's an interesting question to think about. It seems to be saying that the speed goes to zero at the bottom end of the string. Does that mean that a wave in the string will stop dead at the bottom end of the string? Does that seem to be what really would happen in a vertically hanging string?

5. Jan 30, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Thinking about this some more, I'm not comfortable with simply treating it as a normal travelling wave with a speed that changes along the length. Writing out the differential equation and applying separation of variables, the time-dependent part is SHM, but for the x-dependent (after normalising somewhat) I get xX"+X'+X=0. That has the series solution ##\Sigma \frac{x^i}{{i!}^2}##. Anyone see how to get that into a known closed form?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted