Wave speed, freq, and period of wave on a string

In summary, the conversation discusses a musician fretting a guitar string and plucking it at different points, and then allowing it to vibrate. The string has a tension of 76 N and a linear mass of 4.9 g/m. The equation v=fλ is used to calculate the wave velocity, frequency, and period, but the calculated values do not match the expected answers. The discrepancy may be due to the incorrect use of the wavelength, as it is not twice the interval as assumed.
dinospamoni

Homework Statement

A musician frets a guitar string of length 1.5 m at x = 0.34 m with one finger, and simultaneously plucks the string at x = 0.17 m with another finger (raising it to a height h = 2.1 mm. Both fingers are simultaneously removed from the string, and it is allowed to vibrate. The string has a tension of 76 N, and a linear mass m = 4.9 g/m.

Homework Equations

[itex]v=\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}[/itex]
where
[itex]\mu=\frac{mass\,in\,kg}{Length\,in\,m}[/itex]

[itex]v=f\lambda[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I started off converting the linear mass:

[itex]4.9\frac{g}{m} \times\frac{1 kg}{1000 g} = .0049\frac{kg}{m}[/itex]

Then I plugged that into the equation:

[itex] v=\sqrt{\frac{76 N}{.0049\frac{kg}{m}}}[/itex]

and got v=124.54 m/s

From here I used [itex]v=f\lambda[/itex]
where [itex]\lambda=.68 m[/itex]

and got frequency = 183.147 Hz

Taking the reciprocal of that:

Period = .00546 s

These aren't the right answers, but I don't see where I went wrong

Also, picture attached

Attachments

• prob12-05.gif
    prob12-05.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 483
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't say exactly what is being asked. You have calculated, correctly I believe, the period as though the fret finger is still in place, but is it what was asked for?

I included what was asked for in the title, but forgot to include it in the question. It's asking for the wave velocity, frequency, and period.

I accounted for the finger being lifted off by making the wavelength twice the interval between the finger and the origin. Is that not right?

dinospamoni said:
I included what was asked for in the title, but forgot to include it in the question. It's asking for the wave velocity, frequency, and period.

I accounted for the finger being lifted off by making the wavelength twice the interval between the finger and the origin. Is that not right?
No, that's what it would be if the finger were left in place. But even then, 1.5m is not twice 0.34m. How do you propose to bring 1.5m into the equation?

I appreciate your attempt at solving this problem. However, there are a few things that need to be clarified and corrected in your solution.

Firstly, the equation you used for wave speed, v=\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}, is only applicable for transverse waves on a string with negligible mass. In this case, the string has a non-negligible mass, so the correct equation to use is v=\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}, where \mu is the linear density (mass per unit length) of the string.

To calculate \mu, you correctly converted the linear mass from grams per meter to kilograms per meter. However, you forgot to include the length of the string in your calculation. The length of the string is given as 1.5 m, so the correct value for \mu is:

\mu=\frac{.0049\frac{kg}{m} \times 1.5 m}{1 m} = 0.00735 \frac{kg}{m}

Using this value for \mu, the correct calculation for wave speed is:

v=\sqrt{\frac{76 N}{0.00735 \frac{kg}{m}}} = 74.33 m/s

Next, for the frequency calculation, you used the wrong equation. The correct equation for the frequency of a standing wave on a string is:

f=\frac{1}{2L}\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}

where L is the length of the string. In this problem, L = 1.5 m. Using this equation, we get:

f=\frac{1}{2 \times 1.5 m}\sqrt{\frac{76 N}{0.00735 \frac{kg}{m}}} = 81.18 Hz

Finally, to find the period, you can use the equation T=\frac{1}{f}. Plugging in the calculated frequency, we get:

T=\frac{1}{81.18 Hz} = 0.0123 s

In summary, the correct values for wave speed, frequency, and period are:

Wave speed = 74.33 m/s
Frequency = 81.18 Hz
Period = 0.0123 s

I hope this helps clarify your solution and leads you to the correct answers. Keep up the good work!

What is the formula for calculating wave speed on a string?

The formula for calculating wave speed on a string is v = √(T/ρ), where v is the wave speed, T is the tension of the string, and ρ is the linear density of the string.

How does frequency affect the speed of a wave on a string?

The frequency of a wave on a string does not affect its speed. The speed of a wave on a string is determined by the tension and density of the string, not the frequency of the wave.

What is the relationship between wave speed and wavelength on a string?

The relationship between wave speed and wavelength on a string is that as wave speed increases, wavelength increases. This is because wave speed is directly proportional to wavelength.

What is the period of a wave on a string?

The period of a wave on a string is the time it takes for one complete wave cycle to pass a fixed point on the string. It is typically measured in seconds.

How can the wave speed on a string be changed?

The wave speed on a string can be changed by altering the tension or density of the string. Increasing tension or decreasing density will result in a higher wave speed, while decreasing tension or increasing density will result in a lower wave speed.