Wavefunction matching two different H, not just V

In summary, the basic techniques of wavefunction matching that one would use to calculate the transmission through a step barrier potential and the Dirac hamiltonian of graphene can be used for a situation where instead the fermi velocity changes in a step like fashion.
SturgySturges
Can the basic techniques of wavefunction matching that one would use to calculate the transmission through a step barrier potential and the Dirac hamiltonian of graphene be used for a situation where instead the fermi velocity changes in a step like fashion. i.e. instead of a Hamiltonian like

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}V(x) & k_x - i k_y \\ k_x + i k_y & V(x)\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

where [itex]V(x)=V_0 \Theta(x)[/itex] and [itex]\Theta(x)[/itex] is the unit step function, you have a Hamiltonain like

[tex]v(x) \begin{pmatrix}0 & k_x - i k_y \\ k_x + i k_y & 0\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

where [itex]v(x)=v_0 \Theta(x)[/itex].

If not, what would be a way to approach this problem? Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume the ##k_x+ik_y## terms originate form a ##\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu## applied to the wave function. This being the case I would be concerned that the commutator, ##[v(x),\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu]\ne 0##. This would make your Hamiltonian not hermitian? Just a thought.

Hmm I'm not sure, I've described a much simpler generalisation of the problem that I'm working on just to get down to the key concept I'm uncertain about. Basically it's this business of having two different Hamiltonians either side of [itex]x=0[/itex] (normally the difference is just the `[itex]V[/itex]' in [itex]H=H_0+V[/itex]) and using wave function matching techniques at the discontinuity. It works for just a [itex]V[/itex] but I want to know if/why/how these ideas can be extended to a situation like the above.

SturgySturges said:
It works for just a ##V## but I want to know if/why/how these ideas can be extended to a situation like the above.
I used to work with an old guy back in the 80's whose favorite question was; "what is it?"

if you write out the ##V(x)## case ##H=H_o + V(x)##. Clearly, ##[V(x),H_o]\ne 0## because of the derivatives that appear in ##H_o##. This is all fine and good because you are adding two hermitian operators which yields an hermitian ##H##. If you write out the generalization, what does it look like in terms of derivatives (which is where the k's come from) and the new ##v(x)##? Unless you are careful the result will not be hermitian. I assume that one could symmetrize any product and get a hermitian operators but the details might be different than what you've written, Don't know because it's unclear what you intend from what you have written out.

1. What is wavefunction matching and why is it important?

Wavefunction matching is the process of comparing and aligning the wavefunctions of two different systems. It is important because it allows scientists to understand the behavior of complex systems and make predictions about their properties and interactions.

2. How does wavefunction matching work?

Wavefunction matching involves solving the Schrödinger equation for each system and comparing the resulting wavefunctions. The matching process involves finding common points or regions of overlap between the two wavefunctions, which can provide insight into the similarities and differences between the systems.

3. Can wavefunction matching be used to study any type of system?

Wavefunction matching can be applied to a wide range of systems, from simple atoms to complex molecules and even larger systems like proteins and crystals. However, the accuracy of the matching process may vary depending on the complexity of the system.

4. How is wavefunction matching different from traditional chemical bonding theories?

Traditional chemical bonding theories, such as Lewis structures and molecular orbital theory, focus on the interactions between individual atoms and electrons. Wavefunction matching, on the other hand, takes into account the entire wavefunction of a system and allows for a more comprehensive understanding of its behavior.

5. What are some practical applications of wavefunction matching?

Wavefunction matching has a wide range of practical applications, including drug design, material science, and quantum computing. By understanding the wavefunctions of different systems and how they interact, scientists can develop new and improved materials and technologies.