1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wavefunctions and probability-Proof

1. Sep 30, 2008 #1
    Prove that the probability of finding a particle of mass m in a one-dimensional potential well of length L is 0.5 for both the first and second half of the well for the state with n = 2. Demonstrate that these results make sense in light of the form of the wavefunction for each case.

Someone please help me with proofs. What is general outline i should follow to do this?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2008 #2
    Do you know the wave function for your potential well?

If so, compute the probability of finding the particle in (0,L/2) and then (L/2,0). You should find that the probabilities are equal.

Then plot [tex] \psi\left(x\right) [/tex] and [tex] \psi^{2}\left(x\right) [/tex]. It should be apparent then.

4. Sep 30, 2008 #3
    can I use the normalized particle in a box wavefunction, or should I normalize the constant in another manner.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?