Wavelength Change and Refractive index in a Conductor

In summary, the person is seeking help with a homework problem involving finding the refractive index and wavelength of microwaves in aluminum. They have attempted to use a formula but are unsure if their results are correct. They are looking for assistance from others.
Calannon

Homework Statement

Hey guys, new to the forums so hopefully you can help. I have been given the frequency (and hence the wavelength) of a microwave of 10GHz, and the conductivity of Al which is 3.53x10^7 Siemens/m. From this I have worked out the skin depth. But it asks also what the wavelength of the microwaves in the Al are. It also asks to find the refractive index from this. I am completely lost :(

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the following to find refractive index, but got ~14000...

η=n+ik=c*K/w where K^2=iwμσ.

Found the real and imaginary parts of K^2 (real = 0 and I am = wσμ) then made the assumption that n≈k≈K(Im)/2=√σ/(2wε).

This resulted in huge n and k values and so huge η value so I think it is wrong..No idea about the wavelength change one...

Any help would be appreciated guys :)

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the relationship between wavelength and refractive index in a conductor?

In a conductor, the wavelength and refractive index are inversely proportional. This means that as the wavelength of light decreases, the refractive index increases and vice versa.

2. How does the refractive index of a conductor affect the speed of light?

The refractive index of a conductor affects the speed of light by slowing it down. This is because the higher the refractive index, the more the light is bent as it passes through the conductor, resulting in a slower speed.

3. Can the refractive index of a conductor be greater than 1?

Yes, the refractive index of a conductor can be greater than 1. In fact, most conductors have a refractive index greater than 1 due to their ability to slow down light.

4. How does the change in wavelength affect the behavior of light in a conductor?

The change in wavelength affects the behavior of light in a conductor by causing it to become more or less bent as it passes through. This is due to the inverse relationship between wavelength and refractive index.

5. What other factors can affect the refractive index of a conductor?

Aside from wavelength, the refractive index of a conductor can also be affected by temperature, pressure, and the composition of the conductor itself. These factors can cause changes in the density and structure of the conductor, resulting in a change in refractive index.