What Is the Wavelength of the Earth According to De Broglie's Equation?

In summary, the equation shows that the wavelength of a particle is equal to the Planck's length divided by its momentum. This equation is used to determine the size of a particle, since their wavelength is the shortest distance between two points on a wave. For example, if you have a particle with a momentum of 3x104m/s, then its wavelength would be 6.626x10-34 meters. This means that the particle is smaller than a point on a wavelength of 6.626x10-34 meters. Additionally, because the wavelength is so small, the Earth would not exhibit any wave-like properties and would be more particle-like. This was discovered by a 15-year-old when he calculated the wavelength of
96hicksy
So I was reading about De Broglie's theory of particle-wave duality the other day and I came across the equation: λ=h/p. I expect most of you are familiar with this equation but if you're not, it is: wavelength = Planck's length over momentum (mass x velocity).

So I thought i'd try and find the Earth's wavelength.

So first I found out what I would have to do to find p, which is (5.9742x1024kg * (approx) 3x104 m/s).

So... 6.626x10-34/(5.9742x1024kg * (approx) 3x104 m/s)

This is equal to... 3.697×10^-63 meters.

When I first saw that, I was mind blown. Will someone explain why it's wavelength is that small?

Thanks, Ben - I'm unsure of this because well, I'm quite young (15).

Physics news on Phys.org
The question should not be why the wavelength is small (the numbers simply make it so), the question should be what it means.
And such small a wavelength means that the Earth (if we consider it as a monolithic ball) is highly unlikely to exhibit any wave-like properties (to interfere, diffract, etc.) and is much more particle-like than wave-like.

By the way, it is nice to hear of someone who managed to find out about and become interested in De Broiglie's waves at the age of 15. Cheers!

Oh, and h is not Planck's length, it is Planck's constant. You got the number correct, though. Planck's length is a related but different thing.

No need to worry too much about this. The de Broglie wavelength only starts to show itself for small objects (particles), which really do tend to get bent round corners when they go through a narrow slot. You can spend a lot of time watching people walk through a doorway, waiting for them to be diffracted. It ain't going to happen to any measurable degree :wink:

Thanks guys! Slight confusion on Plancks constant, so sorry for that!

Hi Ben,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and calculations on finding the wavelength of the Earth using De Broglie's equation. It's great to see young scientists like yourself exploring and questioning scientific concepts.

First, I want to clarify that the equation you mentioned, λ=h/p, is actually the De Broglie wavelength of a particle, not the Earth. This equation is used to calculate the wavelength of any object with mass and momentum, including subatomic particles like electrons and protons. It is based on the idea that all particles, including matter, can exhibit wave-like behavior.

Now, to answer your question about why the Earth's calculated wavelength is so small, it is because the Earth has a very large mass and a relatively slow velocity (compared to subatomic particles). In the equation, momentum (p) is directly proportional to mass and velocity, so the larger the mass and slower the velocity, the smaller the momentum. This results in a very small wavelength, as you have calculated.

It's important to note that the De Broglie wavelength is a theoretical concept and it is not something that can be physically measured or observed for macroscopic objects like the Earth. It is mainly used in quantum mechanics to describe the wave-like behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

I hope this helps to clarify your question. Keep up your curiosity and enthusiasm for science!

What is the wavelength of the Earth?

The wavelength of the Earth is not a singular measurement. It can refer to various types of wavelengths such as electromagnetic waves, seismic waves, or ocean waves, each with their own specific wavelengths.

What is the average wavelength of electromagnetic waves emitted by the Earth?

The average wavelength of electromagnetic waves emitted by the Earth is approximately 10 micrometers (μm), which falls within the infrared portion of the electromagnetic spectrum.

How does the wavelength of ocean waves affect the Earth's climate?

The wavelength of ocean waves can affect the Earth's climate by influencing factors such as ocean currents, water temperature, and the exchange of heat and gases between the ocean and atmosphere.

What is the relationship between the wavelength of seismic waves and the Earth's structure?

The wavelength of seismic waves can provide valuable information about the Earth's structure, as different types of waves (P, S, and surface waves) travel at different speeds and wavelengths depending on the composition and density of the Earth's layers.

Can the wavelength of the Earth change over time?

Yes, the wavelength of the Earth can change over time due to various factors such as tectonic plate movements, climate change, and human activities. However, these changes are often small and occur over long periods of time.