Waves: find amplitude, given average power

In summary, in order to find the amplitude of a sinusoidal transverse wave traveling on a string with length 7.60 m and mass 6.50 g, with a wave speed of 34.0 m/s and a wavelength of 0.250 m, and an average power of 55.0 W, the correct calculation for the density of the string should be (6.50*10^-3)/(7.60) = 8.55 * 10^-4. The error in the calculation may have occurred when finding the intermediate values for F, w, and A, as these were not provided.
wayfarer

Homework Statement

A sinusoidal transverse wave travels on a string. The string has length 7.60 m and mass 6.50 g. The wave speed is 34.0 m/s and the wavelength is 0.250 m.
If the wave is to have an average power of 55.0 W, what must be the amplitude of the wave?

Homework Equations

Average Power = 0.5 * sqrt( u F ) * w^2 * A^2 where:
u = density of string, F =force, w = angular velocity, A = amplitude

The Attempt at a Solution

I put in u = (6.50*10^-3)/(0.25) = 8.55 * 10^-4
F =v^2 * u = (34)^2 * (8.55 * 10^-4 )
w = 2*pi* f = 2*pi* v/lambda = 2*3.14*(34)/(0.25)
and solved for A, and got the wrong answer (A = 2.104 m).
Where have I gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi wayfarer,

wayfarer said:

Homework Statement

A sinusoidal transverse wave travels on a string. The string has length 7.60 m and mass 6.50 g. The wave speed is 34.0 m/s and the wavelength is 0.250 m.
If the wave is to have an average power of 55.0 W, what must be the amplitude of the wave?

Homework Equations

Average Power = 0.5 * sqrt( u F ) * w^2 * A^2 where:
u = density of string, F =force, w = angular velocity, A = amplitude

The Attempt at a Solution

I put in u = (6.50*10^-3)/(0.25) = 8.55 * 10^-4

I think there is an error here; you are using the total mass of the string, so you need to put in the total length of the string (not the wavelength of the wave). But I guess that is just a typo in your post, because you have the right answer for [itex]\mu[/itex] so you did really divide by 7.6 m?

Can you give some more details (what you got for the intermediate values F, w, etc.). I did not get 2.104 m from your numbers, but it's difficult to tell where you might have gone wrong without more details.

Last edited:

The equation you used for average power is incorrect. The correct formula for average power in a transverse wave is P = (1/2) * u * v * A^2 * w^2, where u is the linear density of the string, v is the wave speed, A is the amplitude, and w is the angular frequency.

Using this equation, we can solve for the amplitude A by rearranging the equation to A = √(2P/(u * v * w^2)). Plugging in the given values, we get A = √(2*55.0/(8.55*10^-4 * 34.0 * (2*3.14*34.0/0.25)^2)) = 0.00795 m.

Therefore, the amplitude of the wave is 0.00795 m.

What is the definition of amplitude in waves?

Amplitude is the maximum displacement or distance a particle in a wave moves from its equilibrium position. In simpler terms, it is the height or strength of a wave.

How is amplitude related to average power in waves?

Amplitude and average power are inversely proportional in waves. This means that as the amplitude increases, the average power decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation P = A²/2, where P is the average power and A is the amplitude.

What is the unit of measurement for amplitude?

The unit of measurement for amplitude depends on the type of wave being measured. For mechanical waves, such as sound waves, the unit is meters (m). For electromagnetic waves, the unit is usually volts (V).

Can amplitude be negative?

Yes, amplitude can be negative. In fact, it is common for waves to have both positive and negative amplitudes. This is because waves can have both upward and downward motions, which result in positive and negative displacements from the equilibrium position.

How is amplitude measured in a wave?

Amplitude is measured by finding the maximum displacement of a particle in a wave from its equilibrium position. This can be done using various instruments, such as rulers, sensors, or oscilloscopes, depending on the type of wave being measured.