1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waves on Tight Strings: Boundary Condition Problem

1. Apr 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A string is attached to a ring of mass m which is free to move up and down a frictionless pole. The string is subject to tension T and its mass per unit length is [tex]\rho[/tex]. The displacement of the string from its equilibrium position along the x -axis is y(x,t).

The boundary condition at the ring, provided [tex]\frac{\delta y}{\delta x}[/tex]<<1, is

T [tex]\frac{\delta y}{\delta x}[/tex](0,t) = m [tex]\frac{\delta^{2} y}{\delta t^{2}}[/tex](0,t)​

(i) This boundary condition is the consequence of which physical law?
    (ii) For the case of an incident wave y(x,t) = e[tex]^{i(-kx-\omega t)}[/tex], where [tex]\frac{\omega}{k}[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{\frac{T}{\rho}}[/tex], write the total displacement as;

y(x,t) = e[tex]^{i(-kx-\omega t)}[/tex] + re[tex]^{i(kx-\omega t)}[/tex]​

Using the general boundary condition, find r as a function of k and m.

2. Relevant equations

I think everything needed to solve this question is included in the problem description.

3. The attempt at a solution

(i) I believe the boundary condition is a consequence of Newton's Second Law of Motion; the forces acting on a element of string are equated to mass times acceleration. The slope of the string is equal is equal to the tension, however, I do not understand why the left hand side is multiplied by Tension.

(ii) I have calculated the first and second derivatives wrt to x and t respectively and at x=0, the boundary condition has the following form;

T(-k +kr)ie[tex]^{i(-\omega t)}[/tex] = m(-[tex]\omega^{2}[/tex] -[tex]\omega^{2}r)[/tex]e[tex]^{i(-\omega t)[/tex]

Cancelling the exponents this gives;
    T(-k +kr)i = m(-[tex]\omega^{2}[/tex] -[tex]\omega^{2}r)[/tex]

From here I have tried using the relationship given in the problem statement to eliminate T but just end up introducing another unwanted variable. I cannot seem to form a relationship involving only k and m.
    Since I need a real answer I suppose I need to remove the complex numbers in the LHS of the equation but don't see how I could achieve this.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2010 #2
    (i) Well the simplest answer is that the derivative is unitless and you need T to give it units of force. More detailed answer is that you originally have tension T, and you describe dy/dx as the y-component of the force T. So the total force in the y-direction is T*dy/dx

(ii) Can't help you here. I also get a [tex]\rho[/tex] term in the equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook