1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waves, solving Energy with position?

1. Sep 8, 2006 #1
    Howdy,

This is only for a second year course, but i didn't think it would get answered in the intro forums...

Ok, the wording of this question doesn't make much sense to me, but I assure you that this is what it says...
    Demonstrate how

[tex]x=A \cos (\omega t+\phi)[/tex]

can be the answer for

[tex]E=\frac{1}{2}m\frac{dx}{dt}^2 + \frac{1}{2}kx^2 [/tex]

I just don't see how this could possibly work. Any ideas would be helpful

-----------

As for my thoughts, I figured that either the question was written wrong, or that using the simplified energy eq'n (E=kA^2) would help...but I get nowheres using that still.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

There's a typo in that last equation. d^2x/dt^2 is the acceleration, not the speed.

4. Sep 8, 2006 #3
    thanks for pointing that out, it was supposed to be velocity so i edited it to say such. I was mixing two questions together for a second...i still don't know what to do though

5. Sep 8, 2006 #4

Doc Al

Just plug your equation for x into the energy equation and see if it makes sense as a solution.

6. Sep 8, 2006 #5
    no, that would just complicate things. when i actually subsititute the derivative in the first eq'n i can simplify it easily to [tex]E= \frac{1}{2} k A^2[/tex] but that doesn't answer the question...what it seems to want is for you to show how [tex]x=A \cos (\omega t+\phi)[/tex] actually IS the answer for [tex]E=\frac{1}{2}m\frac{dx}{dt}^2 + \frac{1}{2}kx^2 [/tex]

which just sounds absurd to me.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  7. Sep 8, 2006 #6
    hmmmm 40+ views and nothing. I personally think that the question must be wrong, but I'll continue to check back in case anyone sees a relationship that I'm missing between the two expressions

8. Sep 8, 2006 #7
    Solve it as a differential equation? You have [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}^2[/tex] and [tex]x^2[/tex], so if you try [tex]x=A'e^{\lambda t}[/tex] it should work. Just a suggestion, I'm not 100% on this.

9. Sep 8, 2006 #8

Doc Al

I'm a bit puzzled why you ignored my advice to just plug it in and see if it satisfies the equation. That's the simplest way to verify a proposed solution to any equation! And that seems to be all you are asked to do: Just demonstrate that the given function of x is a solution to the energy equation. And it is!

10. Sep 9, 2006 #9
    I'm sorry, I guess I just misunderstood what the question was asking really...
    if you just plug it in and work though it you get the [tex]e=\frac{1}{2}kA^2[/tex] equation that one would expect, I just didn't think that THAT was what the question wanted.

Either way, sorry for ignorning your advise, but what you said is the only thing that I myself though about doing, and I wasn't convinced that was right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?