Ways to join thin components in a secure way and quick to unfasten

• Thread starter theoster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Components
In summary, the back-board was fastened to the wall using push-fit pipe, which was then replaced. Winged inserts were used to fasten the thin panel to the bracing.
theoster
Hi guys/gals,

I am looking for ways to securely fasten components together for aerospace applications and in ways that can be quickly unfastened if replacement is required.

I have two main components, (1) a cylindrical (non-circular cross-section) lip in front of (2) a cylindrical barrel (non-circular as well). Two additional components attach at the (3) top and (4) bottom that provide structural support and load mitigation.

All are connected at the interface between the lip and the barrel, though there is space limitation at the higher half, so bolt joining (1) with (3) is not possible. Also, bonding (1)-(3) with adhesives is not preferred. Preferably, the joint should be fastened-unfastened at one (the bottom) location. The components are very thin as well.

I am looking forward to any answer.

Thanks,
T. S.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

1. How thin is very thin?
2. What sort of dimensions?
3. What is the operating temperature range?
4. What is the material, metal, plastic or composite?
5. Is there a pressure differential, or it this a structural surface?

It would really help if you could attach a sketch or image that shows the four components assembled together.

Likes berkeman and Tom.G
Does it have to hold pressure, or just the shape ??
Tangential, but I was faced with re-assembling under-sink back-board in-situ after repairing waste pipe where it ran through wall.

Said pipe gnawed by rats within wall would you believe ?? Took ~15 mins to replace the push-fit pipe, many miserable months to dry out then re-instate the rest...

For the panel's thick bracing, I could use threaded inserts, mending plates with 4x2 holes and allen-keyed bolts. Inserts placed before sawing. For the thin panel, I used metal 'winged' inserts that, spread by recommended tool, gripped panel and provided a threaded hard-point. "Jack Nuts - Screw Anchor - Spider Nut - Hollow Wall Sleeve - Steel, 25, M5"
Then simpler mending plates and more allen-keyed bolts to stitch seam...
See pic collage...
IMGP0328_10combo.jpg

1. What are some common methods for joining thin components together?

Some common methods for joining thin components include screws, bolts, rivets, adhesives, and welding.

2. How do I determine the best method for joining my specific components?

The best method for joining thin components will depend on factors such as the materials being joined, the level of strength required, and the desired ease of unfastening. It is important to carefully consider these factors before selecting a joining method.

3. Are there any techniques for joining thin components that are both secure and quick to unfasten?

Yes, there are some techniques that offer both security and quick unfastening. For example, using quick-release fasteners or incorporating a locking mechanism into the joining method can provide both security and ease of unfastening.

4. What are some important considerations when joining thin components?

When joining thin components, it is important to consider the strength and durability of the joining method, as well as any potential weight or space constraints. It is also important to ensure that the joining method will not damage the components or affect their functionality.

5. Are there any new or innovative ways to join thin components?

Yes, there are constantly new developments and innovations in joining technology. Some recent advancements include 3D printing of custom fasteners, using ultrasonic welding for plastic components, and using magnetic joining methods for metal components.