We finally got hit by the winter weather

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weather
In summary: The purchase of snow tires can be a one-time expense in places that receive a lot of snow, like the Northeast and Midwest. In places like Arizona, where we don't experience a lot of snow, the cost of snow tires is not as much of an issue.
jtbell said:
It looks like the Southeast USA is going to be hit again, worse than two weeks ago because it's going to be spread out over a longer period of time. The forecast here in upstate SC calls for snow tomorrow, then sleet and freezing rain on Wednesday.

My wife got a call from our ophthalmologist today. My eye exam which was scheduled for Wednesday has been moved to next month.

No word from the college yet about tomorrow. I suspect that they expect they'll have to cancel classes on Wednesday, but are hoping not to have to do it tomorrow, too.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yesterday turned out OK: a couple of inches of snow, which accumulated only on the grass and not on the streets and sidewalks. It made for a pretty walk to work, with big white fluffy flakes falling.

Today is another matter. Everything's closed and we're at home. First the streets were coated with frozen sleet. Now there's about three inches of snow on top of that, and it's still falling. Later we're supposed to get maybe a quarter inch of ice.

About 50 miles to the northwest, they're expecting 8-12 inches of snow. About 50 miles to the southeast they're expecting a half inch of ice or more. We're getting some of both. We won't be surprised if the power goes out later today.

jtbell said:
Yesterday turned out OK: a couple of inches of snow, which accumulated only on the grass and not on the streets and sidewalks. It made for a pretty walk to work, with big white fluffy flakes falling.

Today is another matter. Everything's closed and we're at home. First the streets were coated with frozen sleet. Now there's about three inches of snow on top of that, and it's still falling. Later we're supposed to get maybe a quarter inch of ice.

About 50 miles to the northwest, they're expecting 8-12 inches of snow. About 50 miles to the southeast they're expecting a half inch of ice or more. We're getting some of both. We won't be surprised if the power goes out later today.
Yikes! Stay home and stay safe, hope the electricity stays on. We used to lose electricity all of the time back at the PIT OF DOOM, problem was, it was an ALL ELECTRIC house, so even the stove/oven went out.

Last edited:
We've still got power, but it's not over yet. The wind and freezing rain arrive tonight. The college will be closed for a second day tomorrow. Things are supposed to start thawing out tomorrow afternoon.

On the local TV news they were showing side-by-side pictures from Atlanta, which learned its lesson from two weeks ago, with nobody on the road there; and from Charlotte, which is looking a bit like Atlanta did two weeks ago. :rolleyes:

And for all you folks up in the Northeast, this stuff is headed your way, but you've had plenty of practice with it by now, I suppose. :biggrin:

We never lost power. The ice and freezing rain weren't as bad right here as in some other places. Everything is still closed this morning as far as I can tell from the local news reports. We still have a little bit of snow coming down, but the sun is supposed to come out this afternoon and warm things up and start melting the snow and ice.

Looking out our back window a few minutes ago:

attachment.php?attachmentid=66585&stc=1&d=1392303073.jpg

Attachments

• snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 403
Yay, the sun has come out! I thought I might try to walk to the college, but after going to the mailbox to see if any mail had been delivered (no), I changed my mind. The snow on the front walk and the street has become a firm layer of compacted slush, more than an inch thick, which requires great care when walking in order to avoid slipping. I suspect it will be a solid layer of ice in the morning, except where it's been cleared off by the car tracks.

attachment.php?attachmentid=66593&stc=1&d=1392324961.jpg

Attachments

• snow2.jpg
    snow2.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 397
Beautiful neighborhood jt!. I had to buy a pair of "ice cleats" to slip over my shoes so I can walk on the ice.

jtbell said:
I suspect it will be a solid layer of ice in the morning, except where it's been cleared off by the car tracks.

And now the college has announced that classes will start and offices will open on a 2-hour delay at 10AM as a precaution. Thus endeth our second "snow vacation."

It was amusing to see all the reports on the national news about snarled traffic and abandoned cars in North Carolina, similar to what happened in Atlanta two weeks ago. We had no problems of that sort in upstate SC because people here had enough sense to stay home before the storm hit. :tongue2:

I hope we don't loose all our Mentors this winter.

Ice-slip-drink.jpg

Be careful. We need you.

been there, done that

Evo said:
been there, done that
Me too - just last week. My feet went out from under me when I stepped on some wet (slippery) ice. I went into a crouch as my feet were slipping and turned slightly on the way down so I didn't land so hard.

We had about 10 inches (25 cm) of snow with some sleet/freezing rain today, and we're expecting 6 to 9 inches (15 to 23 cm) by the morning (between midnight and 9 am). Right now exposed surfaces are encrusted with ice. We are having a freezing rain.

Last week, we had about 12 inches (30 cm) of snow.

Update (0430): So much for 6 to 9 inches. We have about 12 inches and it's still snowing. What we cleared yesterday is covered by about a foot or more of new snow - with a base of ice from the freezing rain and sleet we had last night. This would be perhaps more typical of winters of early last century.

Update2 (0600): Snow stopped.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/14/us/winter-storm.html

Last edited:
jtbell said:
And now the college has announced that classes will start and offices will open on a 2-hour delay at 10AM as a precaution. Thus endeth our second "snow vacation."

An hour and a half ago, the daily e-mail summary of campus events went out, with the reminder that classes and offices would open at 10 AM.

A half hour ago, as I was getting out of the shower, another e-mail and text message arrived, indicating that "upon further reconsideration," the college will remain closed today after all.

The main roads are clearing up pretty quickly now that the sun has come up, with a predicted high of 52 F this afternoon (37 F right now). However, the side streets and back roads that many faculty and staff have to use to get here are apparently still very icy, as are the parking lots on campus.

When I first came here, most faculty and staff lived in town or in the next town over, about eight miles away. It was somewhat unusual for someone to commute from a longer distance. Now it's common for people to commute here from nearby cities (or suburbs of them) 40-50 miles away in various directions, and unusual to walk to campus like my wife and I usually do.

Imagine if the weather forecast started using Kelvins and then you would talk to someone not too up-to-date with things about the weather and they ask: So, how is the weather today? You would answer, not too bad not too bad, a little over 300 with some light rain :D

College Dorm gets hit by the winter weather:

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/02/14/4824035/big-runawaysnowball-slams-into.html

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — Two math majors at Reed College lost control of a massive snowball that rolled into a dorm, knocking in part of a bedroom wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
nsaspook said:
College Dorm gets hit by [STRIKE]the winter weather[/STRIKE] mischievous math majors:

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/02/14/4824035/big-runawaysnowball-slams-into.html

Fixed that for ya.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person