We finally got hit by the winter weather

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weather
In summary: The purchase of snow tires can be a one-time expense in places that receive a lot of snow, like the Northeast and Midwest. In places like Arizona, where we don't experience a lot of snow, the cost of snow tires is not as much of an issue.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Until yesterday, the southeastern US had escaped the snow and ice that the Northeast and Midwest have been dealing with repeatedly. Now it's our turn. The college where I work first announced late yesterday afternoon that classes would start and offices would open at 10 AM today (two-hour delay). When I woke up today, they had pushed it back to noon. Now they've decided to close for the entire day, because of icy roads.

It's not as bad here as it is further west in Atlanta, where people have been stuck in traffic jams all night on the expressways, unable to move because of the ice and abandoned cars.

Stranded, cold motorists spend nights on freeways after rare snow in South (CNN.com)

Physics news on Phys.org
*looks out the window*

Nope. No snow here in the Arizona desert.

Drakkith said:
No snow here in the Arizona desert.

Just you wait!

http://www.rei.com/share/rei-blog/2011/02/even_cacti_have_had/postImages/snow_on_saguaro.img.jpg

Clearly that's photoshopped... :tongue:

jtbell said:
Until yesterday, the southeastern US had escaped the snow and ice that the Northeast and Midwest have been dealing with repeatedly. Now it's our turn. The college where I work first announced late yesterday afternoon that classes would start and offices would open at 10 AM today (two-hour delay). When I woke up today, they had pushed it back to noon. Now they've decided to close for the entire day, because of icy roads.

It's not as bad here as it is further west in Atlanta, where people have been stuck in traffic jams all night on the expressways, unable to move because of the ice and abandoned cars.

Stranded, cold motorists spend nights on freeways after rare snow in South (CNN.com)

Welcome to our world!

A couple of days ago, we had a high of only -3 F in the Chicago area. And of course, we had been getting A LOT of snow since Thanksgiving of 2013.

And to think that the West Coast is in a drought.

Zz.

jtbell said:
Houston was hit by that storm yesterday. It was pretty much a non-event. However, Houston was pretty much shut down because the mere threat of anything remotely resembling winter weather causes the entire city to go bonkers.
Drakkith said:
*looks out the window*

The alliteratively named "ridiculously resilient ridge" has meant no winter weather for the southwest. The Pacific fronts that normally bring winter weather to the southwest are being diverted to the far north this winter. We are soon going to be looking at high produce bills because of this weather phenomenon.

Here's a nice snapshot of a beach at Folsom Lake:

http://www.kcra.com/image/view/-/23755560/medRes/2/-/maxh/460/maxw/620/-/1169yy1/-/folsom-lake-water-JPG.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Drakkith said:
Clearly that's photoshopped... :tongue:

Well, I've seen snow in southern Arizona with my own eyes, in Tucson during Christmas vacation several years ago. Not much in town, just enough to produce a dusting on the ground. It was remarkable enough that I took some pictures... they're around here somewhere... somewhere...

There was a lot more up on Mt. Lemmon, but that's a separate microclimate!

I live off of the 85-75 connector in Atlanta. I got to spend 24 hours watching cars not move last night. I felt bad for those people =(.

MarneMath said:
I live off of the 85-75 connector in Atlanta. I got to spend 24 hours watching cars not move last night. I felt bad for those people =(.
I used to live in Atlanta, they are not equipped to prepare roads for even a dusting and the hills there make driving treacherous.

Evo said:
I used to live in Atlanta, they are not equipped to prepare roads for even a dusting and the hills there make driving treacherous.
The Gulf Coast states are not equipped/prepared for icy roads or snow.

Astronuc said:
The Gulf Coast states are not equipped/prepared for icy roads or snow.
Not at all. People who have to get to work are terrified of the slightest bit of snow because the traffic is screwed up by people who have no idea who to drive when conditions are slippery.

Moving farther north to Columbia, MD, I went to to work one morning for General Physics. The only person in the division was our administrative assistant. I asked her where everybody was, and she said that they were all "snowed in". She grew up in Buffalo and I grew up in Maine. There is no way that one inch of snow could have kept us from doing our jobs, but apparently in MD, the rules are different.

The purchase of snow tires can be a one-time expense in places that do not often get much snow, and they won't wear out soon. We all pay for that lack of productivity.

We're getting some winter weather here too...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40020825/887.jpg

MarneMath said:

and now we start the national blood sport of the ' Blame Game'.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/30/us/ice-storm-southern-united-states.html?_r=0
And on Wednesday, Mayor Kasim Reed and Gov. Nathan Deal were by turns defensive and apologetic.
“We don’t want to be accused of crying wolf,” said Mr. Deal, who pointed out that the storm had been forecast to just brush the south side of the city. If the city had been closed and the storm had been as light as some forecasters had told him it was going to be, he said, money would have been lost, and people would have complained.
“We would have shut a major city down for a day,” he said. “We can never promise that we will always be correct when it comes to deciding what Mother Nature will do.”
The PNW has been on the other side of the jet-stream, other than an early freeze we've had nothing of note until this tuesday when the monster high pressure center finally broke down. We need a massive rain/snow storm.

Thresholds where I live:

12 cm (4.7 inches) - the minimum new snowfall for snowplows to be deployed, anything less than this means no snowplows;

-15 C (5 F) - the temperature at which students (e.g., my seven-year daughter) are kept inside at recess and lunch, anything warmer than this, and students are forced to go outside and play;

buses pulled off the streets - university closed.

Last December, we received 40 - 50 cm (16 - 20 inches) of snow during a couple of days storms. This happened during final exams at the university, but, since the buses were not pulled off the main streets, students were expected to be at their exams on schedule and on time, i.e., snow wasn't a legitimate excuse.

George Jones said:
Thresholds where I live:

12 cm (4.7 inches) - the minimum new snowfall for snowplows to be deployed, anything less than this means no snowplows;

I was stationed at a site in Alaska. They plowed the site every Tuesday.

Couldn't care less when it snowed or how much - plowing day was on Tuesdays.

I arrived there in January and it was nearly 5 months before I found out whether the site's roads were paved or not (they actually were, which kind of surprised me).

George Jones said:
Thresholds where I live:

That's the difference between weather and climate, which is the cause of most of the weather issues in the UK. Last year we had this, within a few miles of where I live:
article-2299812-18F337D2000005DC-516_634x393.jpg

So far this winter, no snow, and not even any overnight frosts, but rainfall for January has been the highest for more than a century.

We got a solid coating of ice last night. I'm trapped. Can't get to the main road.

Evo said:
We got a solid coating of ice last night. I'm trapped. Can't get to the main road.

Don't worry Evo, I've sent Phinds. He's on his way through the snow and ice with relief supplies. I hope you like ramen and Dr. Pepper.

Drakkith said:
Don't worry Evo, I've sent Phinds. He's on his way through the snow and ice with relief supplies. I hope you like ramen and Dr. Pepper.

:rofl:

Hmmm... Phinds has yet to return...

Anyone got any Lost Dog flyers I can put up?

Ice rain's coming down here. My windshield has cm thick layer of ice on it aaaaand, it bleeding difficult to get off :/

lendav_rott said:
Ice rain's coming down here. My windshield has cm thick layer of ice on it aaaaand, it bleeding difficult to get off :/

Approximately where is "here?"

Pardon me, here is in Estonia.

To be fair and don't take this the wrong way I think since the accord on weather in 1887 where it was decided officially that England had the worst weather ever, and that hence they are obliged to moan about it constantly. Any other countries whining about weather seems trite.

Hell Julius Caesar came here and wrote two pages in his book about how crap the weather was, and he was trying to take over the country, and I wouldn't be surprised if he failed because the weather was crap, because he wrote less about his military accomplishments against the then Britons.

I mean who can beat, grey dank depressing and cold all over winter, and a summer that looks like a tropical zones rainy season. So long story short think on, try living in England it's crap weather all the time now and for the rest of your life, and too right we complain about it have you seen the Bahamas? Hurricanes yeah we get those too, eat your heart out. ;)

Yesterday after 24 hours of rain that left the whole south coast flooded, it hailed for 4 hours where I was and when it did let up, oh no we didn't get sunshine we got more slushy cold and annoying rain, today it was sunny but was it warm, hell no it was bloody freezing so much so that despite this weird yellow ball shining in the sky which we call sky god, no one would venture outside if he or she had any sense. I thought Emperor Ming the Merciless was going to chime in next with some fire bounded meteorites it was that terrible. ;)

I once was talking to people from Norway who said it feels less cold in Norway than it does over in England, and that is because it is wet cold rather than dry cold, and I kid you not they had -20o temperatures in Norway at the time, and it was only -2oC here but it was wet also. They were genuinely expressing the opinion that it's less cold in Norway than it is in England at the time. :(

I rest my case. :D

Rant over. :)

But try England for dire weather it's no wonder we ruled the largest empire in history, it wasn't trying to acquire goods and wealth, it was trying to get away from our God awful weather for better climes. ;)

Last edited:
Drakkith said:

Drakkith said:
Hmmm... Phinds has yet to return...

Anyone got any Lost Dog flyers I can put up?
Phinds got here ok, thanks for the ramen and Dr Pepper, saved my life. :!) I sent him back with booze and cookies. (Hope he's ok)

The Dog Star said:
To be fair and don't take this the wrong way I think since the accord on weather in 1887 where it was decided officially that England had the worst weather ever, and that hence they are obliged to moan about it constantly. Any other countries whining about weather seems trite.

Hell Julius Caesar came here and wrote two pages in his book about how crap the weather was, and he was trying to take over the country, and I wouldn't be surprised if he failed because the weather was crap, because he wrote less about his military accomplishments against the then Britons.

I mean who can beat, grey dank depressing and cold all over winter, and a summer that looks like a tropical zones rainy season. So long story short think on, try living in England it's crap weather all the time now and for the rest of your life, and too right we complain about it have you seen the Bahamas? Hurricanes yeah we get those too, eat your heart out. ;)

Yesterday after 24 hours of rain that left the whole south coast flooded, it hailed for 4 hours where I was and when it did let up, oh no we didn't get sunshine we got more slushy cold and annoying rain, today it was sunny but was it warm, hell no it was bloody freezing so much so that despite this weird yellow ball shining in the sky which we call sky god, no one would venture outside if he or she had any sense. I thought Emperor Ming the Merciless was going to chime in next with some fire bounded meteorites it was that terrible. ;)

I once was talking to people from Norway who said it feels less cold in Norway than it does over in England, and that is because it is wet cold rather than dry cold, and I kid you not they had -20o temperatures in Norway at the time, and it was only -2oC here but it was wet also. They were genuinely expressing the opinion that it's less cold in Norway than it is in England at the time. :(

But try England for dire weather it's no wonder we ruled the largest empire in history, it wasn't trying to acquire goods and wealth, it was trying to get away from our God awful weather for better climes. ;)
:rofl: Welcome to PF The dog star, seems you'll fit right in!

The Dog Star said:

Siriusly? You seem to have the foggiest.

Last edited:
Evo said:
:rofl: Welcome to PF The dog star, seems you'll fit right in!

hehe thanks. :)

Enigman said:
Siriusly? You seem to have the foggiest.

The foggiest, the dullest the most rain ridden, the most depressing, the most banal, and cold rain driving into your soul, hell snow is better it's cold but it does not find every place in your person to penetrate so that you feel cold after 5 minutes even if you are inside just looking at it. :p :)I kid of course, but the English are by law allowed to complain far more vociferously about the weather than other countries, as I said it's been the law since 1887. :smile:

Drakkith said:
*looks out the window*

We have snow up here in Flagstaff. =)

Mmm_Pasta said:
We have snow up here in Flagstaff. =)

Lies and slander!

Portland finally hit by the winter weather.

It's hard to remember what the ground looks like here in Chicago :cry:

It looks like the Southeast USA is going to be hit again, worse than two weeks ago because it's going to be spread out over a longer period of time. The forecast here in upstate SC calls for snow tomorrow, then sleet and freezing rain on Wednesday.

I wonder what will happen in Atlanta, where the expressways turned into overnight parking lots last time. My guess is that the city will simply close down in advance, and stay closed all day Tuesday and Wednesday.

jtbell said:
I wonder what will happen in Atlanta, where the expressways turned into overnight parking lots last time. My guess is that the city will simply close down in advance, and stay closed all day Tuesday and Wednesday.
If Atlanta closes and doesn't get hit as expected, I wonder who's going to be blamed.