Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weak + and - and Z neutral, free neutron, etc.

1. Jul 7, 2012 #1
    With beta decay a down quark turns into a up quark + W- results in e- and (anti-neutrino) and up quark turns into a down quark + W+ produces e+ + (neutrino), does the W- and W+ get emitted and then turn into e- + (anti-neutrino) or e+ + (neutrino) or do they stay in the nucleus? How does the Z neutral boson work? I have heard that it interacts between the neutron and the electron or both proton and neutron interact with the electrons by the Z neutral boson, how does this work? Also with the beta decay, there is an anti-neutrino (is it an anti-electron-neutrino) and the opposite (what is the opposite of the beta decay called?), is it an electron neutrino or positron neutrino? Also how do you write anti-neutrino or anti-electron neutrino or anti-quark or anti-lepton in the proper way?
    I also have another question and that is that I have heard that a free neutron will decay into a proton, electron (and possibly a neutrino?), is this true or not, and if it is not true then how does this work?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2012 #2
    You just said it. Neutron contains two down quarks and one up quark, proton has two up quarks and one down quark.
    Proton: uud
    Neutron: udd

The reaction looks like this:

udd -> uud + W- -> uud + e + anti-neutrino

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook