Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weak interactions that change lepton flavor

1. Jun 27, 2011 #1
    Are there any [itex]W^\pm[/itex] or [itex]Z^0[/itex] interactions that change lepton flavor? For example, turn an electron into a muon or vice versa?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2011 #2

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

4. Jun 29, 2011 #3
    Thanks!

I wonder, what is the meaning of "highly suppressed" when describing flavor-changing neutral currents? Do such interactions exist and are just rare, or are they completely forbidden?

Also, is it possible for a changed weak current to conserve flavor?

5. Jun 29, 2011 #4

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

Do you know perturbation theory, Feynman diagrams and the meaning of vertices? For each vertex in a diagram you get a power of a small quantity, so a diagram with a large number of vertices comes always with a high power of a small quantity <1 and therefore represents a small quantity.

Highly suppressed means that you can draw diagrams for allowed processes of flavor changing neutral currents, but that these diagrams contain a typically more vertices and therefore represent only a small correction to other processes.

6. Jun 29, 2011 #5
    I'm taking an introduction course in elementary particle physics (3rd year level). We did study Feynman diagrams, at least qualitatively. And I understood your explanation, thanks :)

Could you please answer my second question (is it possible for a changed weak current to conserve flavor)?

7. Jun 29, 2011 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It is not possible for a charged current to conserve flavor, because it must couple to two different fields to couple with two fields of different charges. A photon can couple to u-ubar or d-dbar, but a charged boson needs to couple to u-dbar or d-ubar.

8. Jun 30, 2011 #7
    There are charged current contributions to processes like [itex]e\nu_e \rightarrow e\nu_e[/itex] or [itex]ud \rightarrow ud[/itex] scattering where overall flavor is conserved, even though flavor is not conserved at each vertex. (If you object to the second case as relying on free quarks, it can be though of as a proxy for [itex]pn \rightarrow pn[/itex].)

9. Jun 30, 2011 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Yes, but that's not very helpful. Yes, technically you can have two interactions, each with flavor violation that cancels the other. But is that something likely to clarify the OP's understanding or add to the confusion?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook