Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What is the weak isospin of hadrons?

1. Jan 19, 2017 #1
    What are the weak isospins (T3 values) of various hadrons, including the proton, neutron, mesons, hyperons and other hadrons? How is the weak isospin calculated for any hadron?

Published sources provide T3 only for fundamental fermions, that is, quarks and leptons. In the fundamental bosonic sector, the photon's T3 is (0, 1), the gluon's is 0, the Higgs boson's is -1/2, the Z boson's is 0 and the charged weak bosons' is ±1. No such information appears for composite particles.

One could calculate this using Q=T3+YW/2. However, the weak hypercharge (YW) values for hadrons are also not available.

Supposedly, it is possible that the weak isospin of all hadrons is 0, since the weak interaction does not operate on the hadron as such, only on its constituent quarks. Is this the case?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2017 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Weak isospin is not a conserved quantum number so the question has no answer.

4. Jan 19, 2017 #3
    Thank you.

I interpret your answer as follows: weak isospin is a quantum number that can exist only for fundamental particles. This, because composite particles (hadrons) are the result of an interaction which does not conserve weak isospin.

Hence, my assumption that "the weak interaction does not operate on the hadron as such, only on its constituent quarks" is correct.

You say that "the question has no answer"; however, is it not possible to simply say that the weak isospin of every hadron is 0?

5. Jan 19, 2017 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I said precisely none of that. Weak isospin is not a conserved quantum number so the question has no answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted