1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Website with cheap used physics/math texts?

1. Apr 13, 2013 #1
    Hello I was just wondering I anyone knew of a good site to get old physics and math texts, at whatever age from new to 70+ years, possible a site that conects university libraries wishing to clean out texts. Also not just into calc and intro physics but assortments of intermediate to advanced topics. Please not amazon!
    Thanks!
    Also if this is not in the specific section, please do not infract me I thought this was an acceptable place to post this question.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why not Amazon? You are not going to find a better place for what you are looking for.

4. Apr 13, 2013 #3
    abebooks try it. very cheap.

5. Apr 13, 2013 #4
    Amazon, abebooks and ebay. But amazon has some amazing prices if you know how to look. I recently got 6 texts from them recently including 2 new books (Dover ed.s), 1 used book printed in 2012 (sold for 80 new), and 2 older used books for less than 35$ shipped total.

6. Apr 13, 2013 #5
    The only reason I say not amazon itis because I have viewed most of the cheap books they have on there. I was curious if there was a sure that sold books universities were getting rid of for only a couple bucks.

7. Apr 13, 2013 #6

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why would a uni library sell its old books for $2, if they can get $20 through amazon or ebay? Plus there would be the cost of paying somebody to run up their own e-commerce site, etc.

8. Apr 13, 2013 #7
    I have gotten a lot of books that way the books aren't perfect usually very old, but I like them. I just wanted to know if there was a site for this. Their actual value is usual only a couple dollars.

9. Apr 13, 2013 #8
    I think there are plenty places better than Amazon. Most of my texts were bought from Abe books, Valore books or Half.com.

A good thing to use is www.DealOZ.com. Its a metasearch engine that will search Amazon, Half and many others.

10. Apr 14, 2013 #9

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

allbookstores.com is another site that searches a number of different vendors (including used books at amazon) for price comparison.

11. May 17, 2013 #10
    TextbooksRus.com

12. May 18, 2013 #11

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

abebooks is my standard place. Over the years it is by far the best and most comprehensive site. But if their offering is not cheap enough, I also try amazon. One useful thing about amazon is their good return policy. just try searching abebooks for an old book you want and see for yourself.

they have resnick and halliday for $3.49 from a few decades ago.

abebooks is my standard place. Over the years it is by far the best and most comprehensive site. But if their offering is not cheap enough, I also try amazon. One useful thing about amazon is their good return policy. just try searching abebooks for an old book you want and see for yourself.

e.g. here is resnick and halliday from a few decades ago, for $3.49 .

But the prices have gone up a lot in the past decade or so. LNM volumes that used to sell for $5. have been seen for over $100 more recently. Booksellers have learned that science types really want those good books.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  13. May 22, 2013 #12
    I've tried a few places. Notably:
    Betterworldbooks.com (You can also donate to reduce the carbon footprint due to your shipment)
    Alibris.com
    Goodwillbooks.com (Less selection, but some gems)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted