Website with cheap used physics/math texts?

• Thread starter andrewkg
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding a good site to purchase old physics and math texts, possibly from university libraries looking to clean out their collections. The original poster specifically asks for a site that offers a variety of intermediate to advanced topics and not just basic calculus and introductory physics. They also mention not wanting to use Amazon and ask for alternatives. Other users suggest sites such as Abebooks, Valore books, Half.com, DealOZ.com, allbookstores.com, TextbooksRus.com, and Betterworldbooks.com. The conversation also touches on the increasing prices of textbooks and the possibility of donating to reduce carbon footprint when purchasing from certain sites.
andrewkg
Hello I was just wondering I anyone knew of a good site to get old physics and math texts, at whatever age from new to 70+ years, possible a site that conects university libraries wishing to clean out texts. Also not just into calc and intro physics but assortments of intermediate to advanced topics. Please not amazon!
Thanks!
Also if this is not in the specific section, please do not infract me I thought this was an acceptable place to post this question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why not Amazon? You are not going to find a better place for what you are looking for.

abebooks try it. very cheap.

Amazon, abebooks and ebay. But amazon has some amazing prices if you know how to look. I recently got 6 texts from them recently including 2 new books (Dover ed.s), 1 used book printed in 2012 (sold for 80 new), and 2 older used books for less than 35$ shipped total.

The only reason I say not amazon itis because I have viewed most of the cheap books they have on there. I was curious if there was a sure that sold books universities were getting rid of for only a couple bucks.

Why would a uni library sell its old books for $2, if they can get $20 through amazon or ebay? Plus there would be the cost of paying somebody to run up their own e-commerce site, etc.

I have gotten a lot of books that way the books aren't perfect usually very old, but I like them. I just wanted to know if there was a site for this. Their actual value is usual only a couple dollars.

phinds said:
Why not Amazon? You are not going to find a better place for what you are looking for.

I think there are plenty places better than Amazon. Most of my texts were bought from Abe books, Valore books or Half.com.

A good thing to use is www.DealOZ.com. Its a metasearch engine that will search Amazon, Half and many others.

allbookstores.com is another site that searches a number of different vendors (including used books at amazon) for price comparison.

TextbooksRus.com

abebooks is my standard place. Over the years it is by far the best and most comprehensive site. But if their offering is not cheap enough, I also try amazon. One useful thing about amazon is their good return policy. just try searching abebooks for an old book you want and see for yourself.

they have resnick and halliday for $3.49 from a few decades ago.

abebooks is my standard place. Over the years it is by far the best and most comprehensive site. But if their offering is not cheap enough, I also try amazon. One useful thing about amazon is their good return policy. just try searching abebooks for an old book you want and see for yourself.

e.g. here is resnick and halliday from a few decades ago, for $3.49 .

But the prices have gone up a lot in the past decade or so. LNM volumes that used to sell for $5. have been seen for over $100 more recently. Booksellers have learned that science types really want those good books.

Last edited:
I've tried a few places. Notably:
Betterworldbooks.com (You can also donate to reduce the carbon footprint due to your shipment)
Alibris.com
Goodwillbooks.com (Less selection, but some gems)

1. What types of books can I find on this website?

On this website, you can find a variety of used physics and math textbooks at discounted prices. These textbooks cover topics ranging from introductory level to advanced concepts in both subjects.

2. How can I be sure that the textbooks are in good condition?

All textbooks listed on this website go through a thorough quality check before being made available for purchase. This ensures that the books are in good condition and free from any major damages. Additionally, the website also provides a description of the book's condition, so you can make an informed decision before buying.

3. Are the prices on this website lower than other retailers?

Yes, the prices of the textbooks on this website are significantly lower compared to other retailers. This is because the books are pre-owned and sold at discounted rates. However, the quality of the books is guaranteed, making it a cost-effective option for students and professionals.

4. Is there a return policy for the books?

Yes, the website has a return policy in case the book is not in the condition as described or if there are any major issues with the book. You can return the book within a specified time period and receive a refund or exchange for another book.

5. How long does shipping take for orders placed on this website?

The shipping time may vary depending on your location and the availability of the book. However, most orders are shipped within 2-3 business days. You will receive a confirmation email with the estimated delivery date once your order is processed.