Wedding in the Trollhome mountains

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker was invited to a wedding in a guesthouse in the Trollhome Mountains, about 6 hours from Oslo. They had a great time and shared a photo of the landscape. The conversation then turned to the meaning of the name "Trondheim" and its connection to trolls. The speaker also mentioned their interest in traveling to Norway and Poland. They then discussed the origins of the names "Trollheimen" and "Jotunheimen" and the history of magic in Poland. Finally, there was a question about the location of the photo, which was taken from an aerial view.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I was recently fortunate enough to be invited to the wedding of my cousin at a guesthouse situated deep in the Trollhome Mountains, a couple of hours drive from Trondheim, and approx. 6 hours drive from Oslo, where I live. The festivities, my cousin's bride and the landscape were utterly magnificent, and here's a photo of the latter, the guesthouse seen below:
13156731.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Very nice Arildno!

This seems to be a place straight out of legends...
Trondeheim roughly translates to troll home, did you meet any? They are UGLY- the legend says they turn to stone when they see sunlight. I wonder what's the story behind its name?

What a lovely place! Sounds like you had a great time, too. Congrats!

Enigman said:
This seems to be a place straight out of legends...
Trondeheim roughly translates to troll home, did you meet any? They are UGLY- the legend says they turn to stone when they see sunlight. I wonder what's the story behind its name?
"Trondheim" means the "lush home", the place with rich growth.
As for the name Trollheimen (Trollhome), it is the result of 19th century National Romanticism, adopted in the 1880s. The word is also reminiscent of our most famous mountain area, the Gianthome (Jotunheimen), the earliest versions of that name being attested from the 1820s.

As for the ugliness, I scared away the trolls myself. :shy:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Norway is in my travel top 3!

Start saving :devil:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Poland in my top 3 too! :)

Why? They've only got pilfered stave churches..

arildno said:
"Trondheim" means the "lush home", the place with rich growth.
Ah, now that makes sense...
As for the name Trollheimen (Trollhome), it is the result of 19th century National Romanticism, adopted in the 1880s.
How's that romantic? Trolls are supposed to be man eating dolts who couldn't fit among Aesir or Jotuns.
The word is also reminiscent of our most famous mountain area, the Gianthome (Jotunheimen), the earliest versions of that name being attested from the 1820s.

I think Jotunheim was mentioned in the beowulf saga, but I am not sure- I read it a long back.

arildno said:
Why? They've only got pilfered stave churches..

Because Borek is there and I'm a quarter Polish :D

Greg Bernhardt said:
Because Borek is there and I'm a quarter Polish :D
Ah, that makes sense. Besides, the Old University of Krakow is the only one I know of that offered courses in magic back in the 16th century. The professors weren't even burned at the stake, so the Polish have a long tradition of tolerance and open-mindedness.:smile:

Might be a dumb question, but where was the photo taken from? Is it an aerial shot or is there a fantastic cliff bordering that valley?

lisab said:
Might be a dumb question, but where was the photo taken from? Is it an aerial shot or is there a fantastic cliff bordering that valley?
It is an aerial shot. The valley bottom (some 20 km in length) is broad and flat behind the photographer, ending, effectively, with the cluster of farms the guesthouse belongs to in front.

Last edited:

1. What is a "Wedding in the Trollhome mountains"?

A "Wedding in the Trollhome mountains" refers to a traditional wedding ceremony that takes place in the mountains where trolls reside. It is a unique and cultural event that is believed to bring good luck and blessings to the newlyweds.

2. Why do trolls live in the mountains?

Trolls are mythical creatures that are said to prefer living in isolated and remote areas, such as mountains. This is due to their reclusive nature and their ability to blend in with their surroundings. The Trollhome mountains are a popular location for troll communities to reside in.

3. What are some customs and rituals that are part of a "Wedding in the Trollhome mountains"?

Some common customs and rituals include exchanging gifts between the two families, performing traditional dances and songs, and the bride and groom drinking from a ceremonial cup together. The wedding ceremony is also often presided over by a respected elder and involves blessings from the spirits of the mountains.

4. Is it possible for humans to attend a "Wedding in the Trollhome mountains"?

While it is not common for humans to be invited to a "Wedding in the Trollhome mountains," it is not impossible. However, it is important to respect the culture and customs of the trolls and to seek permission before attending such an event.

5. Are there any precautions that need to be taken when attending a "Wedding in the Trollhome mountains"?

Yes, there are some precautions to keep in mind. Trolls are known to be protective of their homes and can become aggressive if they feel threatened. It is important to follow the guidance of the troll community and to show respect at all times. Additionally, it is recommended to bring offerings or gifts as a sign of goodwill.