1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of flux through wedding ring

1. Mar 24, 2010 #1
    the problem is stated as
    The Earth’s magnetic field at a certain location in the UK has a magnitude of 48 μT and is directed at 66° below the horizontal.

a)Determine the magnitude of the flux of the Earth’s magnetic field through a
    wedding ring of diameter 2.2 cm when the ring is held in a horizontal plane.

ok so i have used the equation B*A*cos(theta)

the only thing slowing me down is the use of 48 μT . Im not sure how to work this into the equation. I am led to believe that μ is the permuabilty of space so not sure what is meant by μT for the magnetic field of the Earth. I have probably overlooked it in my text and cant find the relevant part now.
    Also i am guessing that 66° below the horizontal is equal to 66° from the perpendicular.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

μT means micro-Tesla. 1 μT is one millionth of a Tesla.
    No. Try drawing it out; this is not true.
  4. Mar 24, 2010 #3
    ahhh yes that makes sense now thanks :)

with regards to the 66 below the horizontal....if the horizontal is 0 degrees, and perpendicular is 90 degrees is it simply just 29degrees from the perpendicular?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook