Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Magnitude of flux through wedding ring

1. Mar 24, 2010 #1
    the problem is stated as
    The Earth’s magnetic field at a certain location in the UK has a magnitude of 48 μT and is directed at 66° below the horizontal.

a)Determine the magnitude of the flux of the Earth’s magnetic field through a
    wedding ring of diameter 2.2 cm when the ring is held in a horizontal plane.

ok so i have used the equation B*A*cos(theta)

the only thing slowing me down is the use of 48 μT . Im not sure how to work this into the equation. I am led to believe that μ is the permuabilty of space so not sure what is meant by μT for the magnetic field of the Earth. I have probably overlooked it in my text and cant find the relevant part now.
    Also i am guessing that 66° below the horizontal is equal to 66° from the perpendicular.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2010 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

μT means micro-Tesla. 1 μT is one millionth of a Tesla.
    No. Try drawing it out; this is not true.

4. Mar 24, 2010 #3
    ahhh yes that makes sense now thanks :)

with regards to the 66 below the horizontal....if the horizontal is 0 degrees, and perpendicular is 90 degrees is it simply just 29degrees from the perpendicular?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook