Magnitude of flux through wedding ring

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
ghostbuster25
Messages
99
Reaction score
0
the problem is stated as
The Earth’s magnetic field at a certain location in the UK has a magnitude of 48 μT and is directed at 66° below the horizontal.

a)Determine the magnitude of the flux of the Earth’s magnetic field through a
wedding ring of diameter 2.2 cm when the ring is held in a horizontal plane.

ok so i have used the equation B*A*cos(theta)

the only thing slowing me down is the use of 48 μT . I am not sure how to work this into the equation. I am led to believe that μ is the permuabilty of space so not sure what is meant by μT for the magnetic field of the Earth. I have probably overlooked it in my text and can't find the relevant part now.
Also i am guessing that 66° below the horizontal is equal to 66° from the perpendicular.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ghostbuster25 said:
the only thing slowing me down is the use of 48 μT . I am not sure how to work this into the equation. I am led to believe that μ is the permuabilty of space so not sure what is meant by μT for the magnetic field of the Earth. I have probably overlooked it in my text and can't find the relevant part now.

μT means micro-Tesla. 1 μT is one millionth of a Tesla.
Also i am guessing that 66° below the horizontal is equal to 66° from the perpendicular.

No. Try drawing it out; this is not true.
 
ahhh yes that makes sense now thanks :)

with regards to the 66 below the horizontal...if the horizontal is 0 degrees, and perpendicular is 90 degrees is it simply just 29degrees from the perpendicular?