Weight of an object sliding on an incline

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Ekleziastike
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
First I would like to appologize for my english, I'm from belgium and I don't often use it to speak about physics.
Second, I don't know if I'm in the good thread to speak about that.

Ok, I need a little help,

I have a problem where an object slidind on a incline plan.

I would like to know its weight but i 've found 2 formules(?)

P= m.g.sin θ
and
P= m.g.cos θ

Could you explain me how use them in the right way ?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ekleziastike said:
First I would like to appologize for my english, I'm from belgium and I don't often use it to speak about physics.
Second, I don't know if I'm in the good thread to speak about that.

Ok, I need a little help,

I have a problem where an object slidind on a incline plan.

I would like to know its weight but i 've found 2 formules(?)

P= m.g.sin θ
and
P= m.g.cos θ

Could you explain me how use them in the right way ?

Thanks

Take a look at this ramp I drew. It shows how you can use the angle that the ramp makes with the flat floor to break the force of gravity into two components: the force normal to the ramp's angled surface and the force along the angle of the ramp.
[tex]F_x = mgsin(\theta)[/tex]
[tex]F_y = mgcos(\theta)[/tex]
Notice that the "x" component (along the angled ramp) uses a sin instead of cos. And the opposite is true for the "y" component (normal to the angled surface). These two equations are found through the definition of a cosine and sine of an angle, using the triangle I drew.
 
Attachments
  • ramp.JPG
    ramp.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 472
Think of simpler example first.
If you're in an elevator on a scale and the elevator is accelerating downward let say x m/s^2, what is your weight as shown by the scale .

In inclined plane too, find what is the downward acceleration.