1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weight of an object sliding on an incline

1. Apr 3, 2012 #1
    First I would like to appologize for my english, i'm from belgium and I don't often use it to speak about physics.
    Second, I don't know if i'm in the good thread to speak about that.

Ok, I need a little help,

I have a problem where an object slidind on a incline plan.

I would like to know its weight but i 've found 2 formules(?)

P= m.g.sin θ
    and
    P= m.g.cos θ

Could you explain me how use them in the right way ?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2012 #2
    Take a look at this ramp I drew. It shows how you can use the angle that the ramp makes with the flat floor to break the force of gravity into two components: the force normal to the ramp's angled surface and the force along the angle of the ramp.
    [tex]F_x = mgsin(\theta)[/tex]
    [tex]F_y = mgcos(\theta)[/tex]
    Notice that the "x" component (along the angled ramp) uses a sin instead of cos. And the opposite is true for the "y" component (normal to the angled surface). These two equations are found through the definition of a cosine and sine of an angle, using the triangle I drew.

Attached Files:

4. Apr 3, 2012 #3
    Think of simpler example first.
    If you're in an elevator on a scale and the elevator is accelerating downward let say x m/s^2, what is your weight as shown by the scale .

In inclined plane too, find what is the downward acceleration.

5. Apr 3, 2012 #4
    Thank you very much:-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook