Weight of Satellite around earth

In summary, when a satellite is placed in orbit 500 km above the surface of the Earth, its weight is very small but slightly greater than zero. This can be calculated using the equation W=G(Me m/ r^2) and taking into account the radius of the Earth and the distance of the satellite from its surface.
layla2525

Homework Statement

A satellite sitting on the ground has a weight of 5000 N. When it is placed in orbit 500 km above the surface of the Earth (which has a radius of 6380 km), which choice best describes its weight?

Very small but slightly greater than zero.

Zero.

Still 5000 N.

Slightly less than 5000 N.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I use the equation W=G(Me m/ r^2)

Physics news on Phys.org
layla2525 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I use the equation W=G(Me m/ r^2)

Yes!

Ah, but how much do you weigh when you're in freefall?
In other words, imagine weighing yourself in the ISS. What would the spring scale read?

What is the weight of a satellite orbiting around Earth?

The weight of a satellite orbiting around Earth can vary depending on its size, shape, and distance from Earth. However, the average weight of a satellite in low Earth orbit is around 1,000 to 2,000 kilograms.

Does the weight of a satellite affect its orbit around Earth?

Yes, the weight of a satellite does affect its orbit around Earth. The heavier the satellite, the more gravitational force it will experience from Earth, which can alter its orbit. This is why satellites must be carefully designed and placed in specific orbits to ensure they stay in their intended path around Earth.

How does the weight of a satellite impact its launch into orbit?

The weight of a satellite is an important factor in determining the type and size of rocket needed to launch it into orbit. The heavier the satellite, the more powerful the rocket needs to be, and the more fuel it will require to reach the necessary speed and altitude for orbit.

What is the difference between the weight of a satellite in space and on Earth?

The weight of a satellite in space is essentially zero, as weight is a measurement of the force of gravity between two objects. In the vacuum of space, there is no gravity to create this force. However, the mass of the satellite remains the same both on Earth and in space.

How does the weight of a satellite affect its maneuverability and stability in orbit?

The weight of a satellite can impact its maneuverability and stability in orbit. A heavier satellite may require more fuel to make adjustments to its orbit, while a lighter satellite may be more susceptible to external forces such as solar radiation pressure. Engineers must carefully consider the weight of a satellite in relation to its intended tasks and environment in order to ensure its successful operation in orbit.