1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weird form of entropy using grand partition function for a system

1. Feb 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey guys,

Here's the question. For a distinguishable set of particles, given that the single particle partition function is [itex]Z_{1}=f(T)[/itex] and the N-particle partition function is related to the single particle partition function by [itex]Z_{N}=(Z_{1})^{N}[/itex] find the following:

(a) The grand canonical partition function
    (b) The entropy
    (c) Prove that the entropy is given by
    [itex]\frac{S}{k}=N[\frac{Tf'(T)}{f(T)}-\log z]-\log(1-zf(T))[/itex] where [itex]z=e^{\beta\mu}[/itex] is the fugacity.

2. Relevant equations
    Grand particle partition function
    [itex]Z=\sum_{N=0}^{\infty}z^{N}Z_{N}[/itex]

Entropy
    [itex]S=(\frac{\partial(kT \log Z)}{\partial T})_{\beta,V}[/itex]
    (i found this myself so it might not be 100% right)

3. The attempt at a solution
    So ive done everything but im struggling with part C:

(a) [itex]Z=\frac{1}{1-zf(T)}[/itex]
    (b) Using that formula I found, i get [itex]\frac{S}{k}=\frac{Tzf'(T)}{1-zf(T)}-\log (1-zf(T))[/itex]

for part (c), i dont know how im meant to get from what I have to what's required. Basically, i dont see how

[itex]\frac{Tzf'(T)}{1-zf(T)}=N[\frac{Tf'(T)}{f(T)}-\log z][/itex]

Thats pretty much all i need help with...but if you guys need more info just let me know! thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2014 #2
    Hi.
    All of the above is correct down to (a). For the rest:
    In (b) don't forget that z is a function of T when taking the derivative, you're missing a term.
    In (c), to obtain the expected expression you'll need to use the summation form of Z (your first "relevant equation") when taking the derivative of logZ and see what you get... (hint: <N>= N)

4. Feb 20, 2014 #3
    OMGEEEE THANKS SO MUCH! Yea i got it now :D :D :D !!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted