1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weird logic-design exam questions

1. Mar 27, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Here are three problems from an exam and i'm not sure i understand the wording... almost like we're supposed to get these wrong.

4. The Boolean expression of the OR between minterm 6 and minterm 7 using variables ABC (A being the MSB and C being the LSB) is
    {(A)} AB
    (B) AC
    (C) BC
    (D) A+B
    (E) A+C

6. The Boolean expression of the AND between minterm 6 and minterm 7 using variables ABC (A being the MSB and C being the LSB) is
    {(A)} 0
    (B) 1
    (C) A
    (D) A'
    (E) B

15. The Boolean expression of the OR between maxterm 6 and maxterm 7 using variables ABC (A being the MSB and C being the LSB) is
    (A) 0
    {(B)} 1
    (C) A
    (D) A'
    (E) B

Correct answers are marked.

3. The attempt at a solution

I did a k map and got AB as the sop for minterm 6 and minterm 7, and (A' + B') for the pos between maxterm 6 and 7, and AB looks like the answer for 4.

My problem is i have no idea what the questions are asking for,...well that and the TA didn't respond to my email :tongue:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2007 #2
    Well i checked with some software and my results for pos and sop are correct...

Owell, got my energy drinks so i'm gonna go study lol

4. Mar 29, 2007 #3
    Ok i think i found a pattern that works atleast with these problems... correct me if i'm wrong :rofl:

For the Boolean expression of the OR between minterm 6 and minterm 7
    They asked for the OR at minterms, do standard sop with k map = answer = AB

For the Boolean expression of the AND between maxterms 6 and maxterm 7
    They asked for the AND at minterms, do standard pos with k map = answer = A'+B'

For the Boolean expression of the AND between minterm 6 and minterm 7
    They asked for the AND at minterms, ...so convert the problem to equilivant maxterm form... which is 0's everywhere except at 6 and 7. I got a pos of (A+B)...and you see the "+"... that means, no their is not AND between them... so 0

For the Boolean expression of the OR between maxterm 6 and maxterm 7
    They asked for the OR between maxterms...convert the problem to equilivant minterm form... which is 1's everywhere except 6 and 7. i got a sop of A'+B'...and you see the "+"...that means yes their is a OR between them, so 1

So yea that's the best guess i can ever do and it should work atleast some of the time :P

p.s. i had my exam and those questions weren't in the second exam... my teacher gave me a trashy homework grade though...like 2/21 despite the DAYS! i spent to make sure the hw was very correct, maybe he just checks the last one lol where i was a little iffy :P.... DON"T CARE... i'll pass the exams and say good bye (nah i'd say something i probably can't say in these forums) to the evil teacher :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?