Logic design - Full subtractor question -

In summary, the question asks for help with a logic design problem involving a full subtractor circuit. The circuit is meant to perform subtraction using 4-digit binary numbers A<3:0>, B<3:0>, C<3:0>, D<3:0>. The task is to complement the schematic by entering the node names S<4:0>, P<4:0>, C<3:0>, D<3:0>. The person asking for help is not sure where to start and mentions a diagram, but does not provide one. More information is needed in order to provide a solution.
minhkhoa2011
Logic design - Full subtractor question - need help !

Homework Statement

My professor gave my class this question but I really do not know how to solve.

The circuit will perform the subtraction where A<3:0>; B<3:0>; C<3:0>; D<3:0> represent 4-digit binary number.
a) Complement the schmetic by entering the node name S<4:0>; P<4:0>; C<3:0>; D<3:0>

Any help will be appreciated!
thanks all .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I have to use the diagram but I do not know where to start from :-[

Physics news on Phys.org

minhkhoa2011 said:

Homework Statement

My professor gave my class this question but I really do not know how to solve.

The circuit will perform the subtraction where A<3:0>; B<3:0>; C<3:0>; D<3:0> represent 4-digit binary number.
a) Complement the schmetic by entering the node name S<4:0>; P<4:0>; C<3:0>; D<3:0>

Any help will be appreciated!
thanks all .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I have to use the diagram but I do not know where to start from :-[

Use what diagram? Were you given a diagram? If so, please post it as an attachment, or give us a link to follow to see it.

Also, what are you subtracting from what? A-B? B-C? A full subtractor has two inputs (and maybe a borrow bit in), and one output (and maybe a borrow bit out)...

Related to Logic design - Full subtractor question -

1. What is a full subtractor in logic design?

A full subtractor is a combinational logic circuit that performs subtraction of two binary numbers. It takes into account the borrow from the previous bit and produces a difference and borrow output. It is an essential component in binary arithmetic and can be constructed using basic logic gates.

2. How is a full subtractor different from a half subtractor?

A half subtractor is a logic circuit that performs subtraction of two single binary digits, whereas a full subtractor takes three binary digits as input and produces two outputs (difference and borrow). Additionally, a full subtractor can handle borrow inputs from the previous bit, making it more efficient for larger binary numbers.

3. What are the basic components of a full subtractor circuit?

A full subtractor circuit is made up of two half subtractors and an OR gate. The two half subtractors are used to perform the subtraction of two bits, while the OR gate is used to combine the outputs of the two half subtractors to produce the final difference and borrow outputs.

4. How do you design a full subtractor circuit?

The design of a full subtractor circuit involves using the truth table method to determine the output expressions for the difference and borrow outputs. These expressions are then translated into logic gates and connected together to form the circuit. It is important to follow the logic design rules and minimize the number of gates used to optimize the circuit.

5. What are the applications of a full subtractor in logic design?

A full subtractor is used in various digital systems, such as calculators, computers, and processors, to perform subtraction of binary numbers. It is also used in communication systems for error detection and correction, and in control circuits for signal processing. Additionally, it is an important component in designing more complex arithmetic circuits, such as a full adder.