Weird News Compilation

• News
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News Weird
In summary, a man who used to be a Fox News guest analyst and claimed to be a CIA agent was sentenced to 33 months in prison for lying about his security clearance, criminal history, and finances.
fresh_42 said:
I have read about a candidate for the Darwin Award today. His smartphone accidentally fell into a river. A river that is wide at his location, and definitely opaque. Nevertheless, he decided to jump into the water and dive for it.

They haven't found him yet.
And he hasn't called anyone yet?

• Haha
Likes bhobba, strangerep, Borg and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
https://kutv.com/news/local/utah-wo...ce-in-phone-scam-convincing-her-to-shave-head
1631408999219.png

SALT LAKE CITY (KUTV) — Megan Randolph is mad. And devastated. And in her own words, her confidence has been "rocked."
Randolph, a model from Layton, Utah, is the victim of a scam. But the scam artist wasn't after her money so much as her dignity — and her hair.

• Wow
Likes bhobba and Astronuc
Anachronist said:
The thing is, she's still lovely without her hair.
:oldconfused:

On first glance, I thought "she" was a "he".

Anachronist said:
The thing is, she's still lovely without her hair. There are a few women who can get away with that.

Models generally belong to that group.

Thanks
Bill

Likes sysprog
Anachronist said:
The thing is, she's still lovely without her hair. There are a few women who can get away with that.
Persis Khambatta comes to mind . . .

1631455298657.png
1631455326965.png

• Love
Likes nsaspook
Some wives get upset when you don't clean out the refridgerator once in a while.

• Haha
Likes Astronuc, BillTre, nsaspook and 3 others
Between 30,000 and 100,000 people showed up to witness the miracle in the sky predicted by three children who claimed to have a visitation by the virgin Mary, mother of Jesus. Reportedly, among other things, the sun was claimed to have danced in the sky. For example,

• "The sun, at one moment surrounded with scarlet flame, at another aureoled in yellow and deep purple, seemed to be in an exceedingly swift and whirling movement, at times appearing to be loosened from the sky and to be approaching the earth, strongly radiating heat." —  Dr. Domingos Pinto Coelho, writing for the Catholic newspaper Ordem.[27]
  • "... The silver sun, enveloped in the same gauzy grey light, was seen to whirl and turn in the circle of broken clouds ... The light turned a beautiful blue, as if it had come through the stained-glass windows of a cathedral, and spread itself over the people who knelt with outstretched hands ... people wept and prayed with uncovered heads, in the presence of a miracle they had awaited. The seconds seemed like hours, so vivid were they." —  Reporter for the Lisbon newspaper O Dia.[26]
  • "The sun's disc did not remain immobile. This was not the sparkling of a heavenly body, for it spun round on itself in a mad whirl when suddenly a clamor was heard from all the people. The sun, whirling, seemed to loosen itself from the firmament and advance threateningly upon the Earth as if to crush us with its huge fiery weight. The sensation during those moments was terrible." —  De Marchi attributes this description to Dr. Almeida Garrett, Professor of Natural Sciences at Coimbra University.[28] Theologian Father Stanley L. Jaki wrote that it was actually given by Dr. José Almeida Garrett, a young lawyer, and is often mistakenly attributed to his father, a professor of natural sciences at the University of Coimbra,[16] named Dr. Gonçalo de Almeida Garrett.[29]

Oct 13, 1917
1631920508522.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_the_Sun

Last edited:
Likes Keith_McClary and bhobba
Saving the Stadium Cat:

Likes Astronuc and sysprog
The case of the missing young woman, Gabby Petito

Still hoping she might be alive.

• Sad
Likes BillTre
Ivan Seeking said:
The case of the missing young woman, Gabby Petito

Still hoping she might be alive.
I'm guessing it's all a social media play by the two actors. But that's speculative of me, so I'll infract myself and delete this.

Oh, wait...

• Informative
Likes Ivan Seeking
berkeman said:
I'm guessing it's all a social media play by the two actors. But that's speculative of me, so I'll infract myself and delete this.

Oh, wait...
Hmmm, I hadn't thought about that. With her having mental health issues I was leaning towards that as the cause in a best case. But you may be right!

If they are screwing around they are going to be very sorry!

Likes berkeman
The boyfriend is missing too, I expect they'll find his body in Fla and we will never really know what happened.

gmax137 said:
The boyfriend is missing too, I expect they'll find his body in Fla and we will never really know what happened.
Really? I have to think he was somehow responsible for her death and is on the run now.

You know he went home first without her. Then he left again.

Oops...

Boeing reportedly investigating empty tequila bottles found on a future Air Force One

New York (CNN Business) -- Drinking alcohol and building planes don't really mix. That's why Boeing is reportedly investigating two small, empty tequila bottles that were found on one of the planes set to serve as the next Air Force One.

The plane is one of two 747 jumbo jets being modified to meet the needs of securely carrying the US president and staff. Although it's not a big part of Boeing's business, it is a high profile "halo" project that is important for bolstering the company's battered reputation. So any concerns involving the president's future jet is about the last thing Boeing needs.

The probe over the tequila bottles was reported Monday by the Wall Street Journal. The plane is being modified at a Boeing facility in San Antonio, and alcohol is banned at all Boeing factories.
Boeing would not confirm or deny the report, saying simply, "This is a personnel matter and for contractual reasons we are unable to comment further."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/20/business/boeing-air-force-one-tequila/index.html[/size]

Ivan Seeking said:
Hmmm, I hadn't thought about that. With her having mental health issues I was leaning towards that as the cause in a best case. But you may be right!

If they are screwing around they are going to be very sorry!
There was a lot of strange speculation on social media about their situation, including involvement in a double homicide near Moab.

To me, Ms. Petito obviously looked distressed. Mental health issue/crisis (Aug 12), apparently, but certainly she was vulnerable. A caller to 911 apparently did state that her fiance struck her.

The latest developments include a couple who picked up Brian Laundrie (fiance) hiking along the highway on August 29, three days before he showed up in Florida driving the white van, without Ms. Petito. When the couple indicated they were driving to Jackson Hole (south of Spread Creek camping area) near Jackson, where he apparently want to to, he had them stop, and he exited the vehicle.
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/tiktoker-claims-she-picked-brian-114944770.html

FBI were tipped off to the location where a body matching the description of Ms. Petito was located by a couple who apparently videoed her white Ford Transit van with Florida license plates in the remote camping area; the as-yet-to-identifed body was found near that location. "Jenn and Kyle Bethune, part of a vlogging family known as Red White & Bethune on YouTube, posted footage on Sunday showing a white van on their travels." The video was captured on August 27 at around 6 p.m. in Grand Teton National Park's Spread Creek Dispersed camping area.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/new...als-find-body-matching-description/vi-AAODsLq

Brian Laundrie disappeared from his parents home on Tuesday, September 14, 3 days after Ms. Petito's parents file a missing person report. At the time, Mr. Laundrie refused to provide any information to police. He responded through a lawyer, and his family stated that they hoped the Ms. Petito would be found alive and returned home.

What kind of person abandons a significant other (fiancé), shows up with that person's property/vehicle but without the s.o., refuses to provide information to police as to the whereabouts, then disappears? Mr. Laundrie exhibits incriminating behavior.

• Informative
Likes nsaspook, Ivan Seeking and BillTre
Ivan Seeking said:
I hate it when that happens!
C'mon, admit to it. You and a coworker were playing sexy passenger and flight attendant on a redeye flight...

• Haha
Likes nsaspook and Tom.G
berkeman said:
C'mon, admit to it. You and a coworker were playing sexy passenger and flight attendant on a redeye flight...
1632187267126.png

She doesn't look like a fan of tequila (nor am I, please don't ask why). Which part of the plane did you work on? Asking for a friend...

berkeman said:
She doesn't look like a fan of tequila (nor am I, please don't ask why). Which part of the plane did you work on? Asking for a friend...
Women generally like Vodka. And if you're assuming I'm employed by Boeing then you would know I've never done a day of work.

berkeman said:
tequila (nor am I, please don't ask why)
Vodka in my case. Bad combination of vodka and tang, vodka and Fanta root beer, vodka straight, and cheap cigars. I inadvertently discovered the worst mixers for vodka.

Astronuc said:
Vodka in my case. Bad combination of vodka and tang, vodka and Fanta root beer, vodka straight, and cheap cigars. I inadvertently discovered the worst mixers for vodka.
You can't go wrong with Sex on the Beach. The name alone makes it the perfect date drink.

Then you ask if she'd like some sex on the beach and pretend you meant the other thing when she says yes. But then it gets confusing because maybe she meant real sex on the beach and not the drink... damn! dating is confusing.

Ivan Seeking said:
You can't go wrong with Sex on the Beach.
Yes, you can! I can tell you from personal experience that when she gets sand in the wrong places the festivities "grind" to a halt very quickly. :oldfrown:

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes Ivan Seeking, pinball1970 and BillTre
Astronuc said:
There was a lot of strange speculation on social media about their situation, including involvement in a double homicide near Moab.

To me, Ms. Petito obviously looked distressed. Mental health issue/crisis (Aug 12), apparently, but certainly she was vulnerable. A caller to 911 apparently did state that her fiance struck her.

The latest developments include a couple who picked up Brian Laundrie (fiance) hiking along the highway on August 29, three days before he showed up in Florida driving the white van, without Ms. Petito. When the couple indicated they were driving to Jackson Hole (south of Spread Creek camping area) near Jackson, where he apparently want to to, he had them stop, and he exited the vehicle.
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/tiktoker-claims-she-picked-brian-114944770.html

FBI were tipped off to the location where a body matching the description of Ms. Petito was located by a couple who apparently videoed her white Ford Transit van with Florida license plates in the remote camping area; the as-yet-to-identifed body was found near that location. "Jenn and Kyle Bethune, part of a vlogging family known as Red White & Bethune on YouTube, posted footage on Sunday showing a white van on their travels." The video was captured on August 27 at around 6 p.m. in Grand Teton National Park's Spread Creek Dispersed camping area.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/new...als-find-body-matching-description/vi-AAODsLq

Brian Laundrie disappeared from his parents home on Tuesday, September 14, 3 days after Ms. Petito's parents file a missing person report. At the time, Mr. Laundrie refused to provide any information to police. He responded through a lawyer, and his family stated that they hoped the Ms. Petito would be found alive and returned home.

What kind of person abandons a significant other (fiancé), shows up with that person's property/vehicle but without the s.o., refuses to provide information to police as to the whereabouts, then disappears? Mr. Laundrie exhibits incriminating behavior.
It's her. And it appears that she was murdered - not natural causes, not self inflicted. And Brian is nowhere to be found.

I should say it was pronounced a homicide, which does not necessarily mean nefarious intent.

Ivan Seeking said:
I should say it was pronounced a homicide, which does not necessarily mean nefarious intent.
He just showed up at his parents home, 2365 miles away, in her van, without her, ostensibly leaving her body on the ground. He did not notify her parents or police. Then he disappeared. There is a lot to indicate nefarious intent.

He might have accidentally killed her, but his actions since about August 25 are suspicious.

Not actually weird, but highly unusual.

A case of “pneumonic plague” has been detected in a Wyoming resident, and the state’s health department is calling the infection “rare but serious.”

The bacterial infection was transmitted after the person had contact with sick pet cats, according to a Sept. 15 news release from the Wyoming Department of Health. If not treated quickly with antibiotics, plague can be deadly.

The disease can spread from person to person and from sick animals to humans, the department said. It is considered the most serious form of plague.

Read more here: https://www.tri-cityherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article254413893.html

This confirmed “human plague case” is the seventh recorded case in Wyoming since 1978, officials said.