Went to Uni of Birmingham open day. Interesting

In summary, the speaker at the Mechanical Engineering talk was not enjoyable and mostly talked about the elite nature of the program. The Physics talk was more enjoyable, but it was mentioned that the skills learned in the degree are more important than the actual knowledge. Many Physics graduates end up working in corporate industries like accounting, and employment statistics show a significant number of graduates working in research and software development, as well as engineering and technical consulting. Despite the focus on skills rather than knowledge, many industries still value a Physics degree for its problem-solving and analytical abilities.
streeters
I went to the Uni of Birmingham open day this weekend gone, with the intention of finding more about both the Physics and the Mechanical Engineering degree programmes.

Firstly, the Mechanical Engineering talk was disappointing. Mostly because the guy giving it was a bit of a dick. All he talked about was how elite they were and how you can't take people with "wooly" degrees seriously.

The Physics one was far more enjoyable, but one thing he mentioned surprised me. The speaker said that the knowledge you actually learn in your degree won't be as important as the skills. Basically, most people who graduate in Physics don't become physicists (a large amount become corporate accountants apparently).

Now, I don't want to study physics just to work at Barclays but this is where a lot of graduates are encouraged to go. Does anyone know the employment stats for different industries for graduates?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't let the dick put you off. I applied for Mech Eng at Birmingham, and it was my second choice. I have 4 or 5 friends who did Mech/Auto Eng at Birmingham and loved it.

streeters said:
Basically, most people who graduate in Physics don't become physicists (a large amount become corporate accountants apparently).
A lot used to do derivatives, but that's dropping as it becomes more normal the equations are being taught to accountants now so they don't need as many rocket scientists.

Does anyone know the employment stats for different industries for graduates?
The IOP has some stats, I think about 20% of graduates work directly in university/industrial research. A lot work in software, I have done physics engines for games and driving simulators for industrial vehicles through to modeling of laser scans for eye surgery.
A lot work in engineering / techncial consultancy / system's intergrators even if you aren't directly using equations you remember from your degree, you are using the ability to work with maths, data analysis, research articles etc.

1. What programs or majors does the University of Birmingham offer?

The University of Birmingham offers a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate programs, including Arts and Law, Engineering and Physical Sciences, Life and Environmental Sciences, Medical and Dental Sciences, and Social Sciences. They also offer various joint degrees and study abroad options.

2. How is the campus and student life at the University of Birmingham?

The University of Birmingham has a beautiful campus with a mix of historic and modern buildings. There are also plenty of green spaces and facilities for students to socialize and relax. The university has a thriving student community with over 200 student societies and sports clubs.

3. What kind of research opportunities are available at the University of Birmingham?

The University of Birmingham is a research-intensive university, with a strong focus on interdisciplinary research. Students have the opportunity to work with world-renowned researchers and participate in cutting-edge projects in various fields, including medicine, engineering, and social sciences.

4. How does the University of Birmingham support its students in terms of career development?

The university has a dedicated Careers Network team that offers various resources and services to help students with their career development. This includes workshops, networking events, one-on-one career coaching, and job fairs. The university also has strong industry connections, providing students with valuable internship and placement opportunities.

5. What sets the University of Birmingham apart from other universities?

The University of Birmingham has a long history of academic excellence, with a reputation for research and teaching excellence. It is also a truly international university, with a diverse student body and a global outlook. The university also has strong partnerships with leading organizations and institutions, providing students with unique opportunities for learning and growth.