Were the Apollo Missions a waste of money?

In summary: Possibly. Worthwhile? I think so.In summary, critics of human space flight feel that the amount of science you get per dollar spent on manned missions does not make them worthwhile. However, with NASA's recent talk about manned missions to Mars, I am starting to think that the Apollo missions were not a waste of money.
Ryan_m_b said:
I'm afraid I don't understand your criticism, do you think that people aren't desperate for these things and that they are more desperate for a Mars mission? My comment was on the nature of what people want, not what we could solve now if we tried. These are huge issues and as you point out there are many examples where things are getting better, even if in recent years many countries have had certain things worse.
I certainly think it's possible to get rid of absolute poverty, and on a global scale. Humanity has made great strides towards that. In terms of other forms of poverty it's trickier but I don't think it's unrealistic to envision a society with low-no levels of nepotism, high job security, a good safety net and a system that allows for smooth social mobility. We're getting off topic here though and not drag this thread into a discussion on the extent of poverty and it's perception and whether or not plutarchy is innevitable/desirable.
Actually I have gone to 3rd world countries to volunteer at charities. Regardless though I think this is a typical and poor criticism. Leaving aside the fact that you've misread my post (where I was referring to what people want rather than what we should immediately focus on) the idea that if you don't personally move to a poor country to help them then you don't have a right to advocate charity/development is asinine. Me as an individual is going to make little difference versus a nation electing to allocate a portion of it's resources to international aid. Again though this is side tracking.
I meant meritocracy was desirable, not plutocracy. Apologies, a slip of the tongue.

Well, granted I did not read all the posts in this thread, so I thought you preferred for the money to be spent on helping the poor. This is a pretty common position so I assumed that was what you took. Anyway, my response to that has always been that you can't just throw money at it and expect the problem to disappear.

In case of poorer nations, they will get richer only when their populations develop better work ethics, become more educated, more enlightened and so on. Spending money on charity is a waste, as allot of it gets stolen and what does get thru will only hurt the local economy in the long term. IMO it would be far better to do stuff like invest in African infrastructure and companies, sponsor exchange programs, lighten import duties on African goods (especially on agricultural products: Africa has some of the most fertile land in the world).

In case of fixing problems "at home",, how exactly are you going to fix nepotism by throwing money at it? Job security and social welfare in general will be fixed only when governments start redistributing wealth (by increasing taxes on the richer strata), which is not really a money problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As I mentioned before Nikitin I think this is just derailing the thread. No one has proposed that the Apollo money would have been better spent on social programs, some of us might think that and there might be an argument to be made but trying to argue against it is just going to drag the thread into a debate on how to solve poverty. Instead why don't we stick to the original question of whether or not the Apollo missions were a good investment? If people want to go down the route of arguing that the money would have been better spent on social issues then fine, but at the moment the thread is concerned with the scientific ROI.

EDIT2: For interest here is the total spending of federal science R&D from 1961-72 broken down by fields

Field / $ billions

Health 51.76
Space 219.10
Gen. Science 33.29
Energy 27.99
Nat. Res. /Env. 12.96
Other 49.07
Defence 502.71
Thanks for the numbers. I'm always missing the spending on military attacks/charges in tables like this one though.

In case of poorer nations, they will get richer only when their populations develop better work ethics, become more educated, more enlightened and so on. ... IMO it would be far better to do stuff like invest in African infrastructure and companies, sponsor exchange programs, lighten import duties on African goods (especially on agricultural products: Africa has some of the most fertile land in the world).
I'd agree on the probable benefit on spending money on most of these points. About the work ethics I'm not so sure though. I think many of these people are working pretty darn hard.

Likes Ryan_m_b
Even people during the Apollo missions were rather divided on whether they were worth it, plenty of people just saw it as the US needlessly weenie-wagging at the Soviets and many people understandably saw millions and millions of dollars being spent to go to the moon and bring back what appeared to just be rocks. So I think painting it as the "killer app" to get people into science might not be the way to go.

But the Apollo missions were ultimately necessary, it would not at the time have been possible to perform those experiments remotely. Now, it would be quite easy to do so with a remotely-controlled rover or lander compared to sending a human crew.

On top of that, it would effectively amount to a human sacrifice in the name of science popularization. Assuming everything goes perfectly, those astronauts will not be coming back to Earth. One way or another, they would almost certainly die on Mars. They'd have a finite supply of food and water and be thoroughly dependent on resupply missions, producing breathable air would require constant maintenance of a farm, they'd be subject to the health hazards of radiation and low gravity, and they'd have only whatever emergency medical supplies they can fit with them. And forget entertainment: just getting the bare essentials into a spacecraft would be hard enough. And they'd have to live like that for the rest of their natural lives, which could very well be shortened by a whole host of things.

I don't think any humans will set foot on Mars until we're talking about full-scale colonization and population efforts, and I don't think that's going to happen for a long time.

The Apollo program generated a ton of new technology (spin offs) that eventually became ubiquitous in society. A lot of new technology had to be invented in order to get to the moon. This could very well justify the investment in the Apollo program.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_spin-off_technologies

leright said:
The Apollo program generated a ton of new technology (spin offs) that eventually became ubiquitous in society. A lot of new technology had to be invented in order to get to the moon. This could very well justify the investment in the Apollo program.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_spin-off_technologies

True but in terms of the investment the counter argument would be that if all this money had been invested in basic research we'd have far more new technologies than the handful of spin-offs. In my opinion there's only one reasonable objection to this counter argument: that were it not for the Apollo program this money would not have been spent on science. Whether or not that is true is an interesting question.

Likes Nikitin
its easy to say it was a waste of money if you ignore that the 70's as we knew them would not have existed at all without the Apollo missions. all those new materials which made so many horrific living rooms,the social changes not only the new materials but processing of would never have gone the way they did however you may view this as good or bad they made huge changes including the development of the personal computers we now take for granted. without the direction the space industry took plastics in the 60's and 70's would not have been prevalent enough to attract the attention they did making many projects much less likely to have developed at all. I used the personal computer as an example because the plastics industry was a pivotal part in the timing of its creation because of costs and availability for mass production.

the amount of spin off from the Apollo program is so huge we miss many of the outcomes that affect our every day lives. I'd definitely say no the missions were not a waste of money. don't forget at the time remote control was at best pretty crappy so unmanned was at the time a bigger waste of money.

Ryan_m_b said:
True but in terms of the investment the counter argument would be that if all this money had been invested in basic research we'd have far more new technologies than the handful of spin-offs. In my opinion there's only one reasonable objection to this counter argument: that were it not for the Apollo program this money would not have been spent on science. Whether or not that is true is an interesting question.

I'd have to disagree with the above: look at the cancer research and how many billions of dollars are pumped into it every year how much new technology does that money generate? it does create some but its not a huge variety of new tech.

dragoneyes001 said:
I'd have to disagree with the above: look at the cancer research and how many billions of dollars are pumped into it every year how much new technology does that money generate? it does create some but its not a huge variety of new tech.
It generates quite a lot, as evidence by the fact that cancer survival rates increase year on year to the point where some cancers have very good survival rates compared to a generation ago where they were a death sentence. I think your criticism is unfair and unfounded as it implies that no advance has been made. In reality even if there were no better treatments (which is untrue) our understanding of cancer biology would be such that we know far more about what doesn't work and what avenues are best to investigate in future.

In short your argument seems to come from a somewhat naive end-use perspective, rather than an appreciation of the field.

Likes billy_joule
Ryan_m_b said:
It generates quite a lot, as evidence by the fact that cancer survival rates increase year on year to the point where some cancers have very good survival rates compared to a generation ago where they were a death sentence. I think your criticism is unfair and unfounded as it implies that no advance has been made. In reality even if there were no better treatments (which is untrue) our understanding of cancer biology would be such that we know far more about what doesn't work and what avenues are best to investigate in future.

In short your argument seems to come from a somewhat naive end-use perspective, rather than an appreciation of the field.

again I disagree you imply I mean that cancer research did nothing to advance its research. which is not what I said. I said cancer research although very well funded in the billions of dollars per year only generates so much variety in technology. where as the Apollo missions created especially with the need to include men in space a much broader quantity of technological advances.

phinds said:
It has always seemed to me that you can make a very strong case that unmanned space exploration would have provided a MUCH bigger bang for the buck, and the rest of the money could have been spent on other technological projects and thus we would have produced the same level of technological spinoff as the manned program did. The only flaw in this argument is that it is ridiculous because it would never have happened. Without the space race there is pretty much no possibility that politicians could have / would have diverted so much money to technology.

A manned mission to Mars is even worse in terms of bang for the buck. Whether or not it captures the public's interest enough to allow politicians to fund it remains to be seen. Personally, I think it's a pipe dream to think it will happen any time soon.
Imaginably, the level of robotics engineering between then and now has changed. Present day gives more chance to avoid manned missions.

symbolipoint said:
Imaginably, the level of robotics engineering between then and now has changed. Present day gives more chance to avoid manned missions.
True, but the hype is for a manned mission to Mars and I just don't see that happening any time soon. Too dangerous, too expensive. I hope we DO get serious and send more unmanned missions and drop this nonsense about sending people in the next couple of decades.

At some point we will need to be in space if for no other reason than to collect resources to sustain humanity. If nothing else it'll probably come down to water that hasn't been polluted beyond recovery. the longer we put off manned stations outside of Earth's orbit the less likely we'll be able to get to and retrieve anything in quantities worth the effort.
not sure Mars is the best starting point for it. we should have in the last 40 years already established a working long stay self supporting base on the moon.

dragoneyes001 said:
At some point we will need to be in space if for no other reason than to collect resources to sustain humanity. If nothing else it'll probably come down to water that hasn't been polluted beyond recovery. the longer we put off manned stations outside of Earth's orbit the less likely we'll be able to get to and retrieve anything in quantities worth the effort.
not sure Mars is the best starting point for it. we should have in the last 40 years already established a working long stay self supporting base on the moon.
WHAT resources? You seriously think bringing water from space will be more economically feasible than building desalination plants and other clear water recovery efforts? I think that's a joke.

Likes Ryan_m_b
its pretty hard to clean up some forms of poisons especially if we make the water a genetic soup that can't be recovered as potable. desalination is only useful if the water hasn't turned toxic beyond recovery. yes we may be able to come up with some antigens but with the amount of medical waste and super bugs water could become our biggest problem. in England a study of some rivers points the finger at the polymer industry for the break down of X chromosome in the fish living in those rivers the companies bank on.(regardless of this studies voracity or not) its an example of how water can be made unsafe to consume and less likely to be cleaned by current means.

dragoneyes001 said:
its pretty hard to clean up some forms of poisons especially if we make the water a genetic soup that can't be recovered as potable. desalination is only useful if the water hasn't turned toxic beyond recovery. yes we may be able to come up with some antigens but with the amount of medical waste and super bugs water could become our biggest problem. in England a study of some rivers points the finger at the polymer industry for the break down of X chromosome in the fish living in those rivers the companies bank on.(regardless of this studies voracity or not) its an example of how water can be made unsafe to consume and less likely to be cleaned by current means.
I agree this is an increasingly serious problem but I just can't see us making the entire ocean that bad without pretty much killing the entire planet.

phinds said:
True, but the hype is for a manned mission to Mars and I just don't see that happening any time soon. Too dangerous, too expensive. I hope we DO get serious and send more unmanned missions and drop this nonsense about sending people in the next couple of decades.

I completely disagree with this. A manned mission to the moon was also too dangerous and expensive in the 60's with the limited technology we had then, but somehow we were able to pull it off and inspire an entire generation of humanity in the process. It's never going to be "safe enough" to go to Mars. With a concerted effort similar to the moonshot, I think it's entirely reasonable to believe that we could put ourselves in a position to have the same chance of success at a Mars mission in 10-20 years as we did with the moon in the 60's, and it would be well worth the money to do so.

In light of that, I just want to ask one question: Does anyone here really believe that, had we diverted the funds used for the manned mission to the moon into other government programs, we'd be sitting around here today saying, "Ya know, it's a good thing we didn't blow all that money on that silly moon mission Kennedy almost got us into, look at what we got out of that money instead. In any case, space is for the asteroids anyway, not humans, just as flying is for the birds."

As far as the unmanned rovers, haven't we had enough of these already? There's where your hype is. Every new generation of these bring on a lot a fanfare but where are the results? All I see is new bot that can drill into a rock a few inches farther than the previous one, yielding not very different findings. I mean, yeah, keep the unmanned programs going too, of course, but I'd personally not mind seeing a couple generations of rovers put on hold and divert the funds to support a manned mission.

Last edited:
dragoneyes001 said:
again I disagree you imply I mean that cancer research did nothing to advance its research. which is not what I said. I said cancer research although very well funded in the billions of dollars per year only generates so much variety in technology. where as the Apollo missions created especially with the need to include men in space a much broader quantity of technological advances.

I still don't understand your criticism, you seem to be saying that because cancer research only produces treatments for cancer it is somehow an inferior investment/accomplishment compared to the variety of apollo spin offs. Is that correct?

Ryan_m_b said:
I still don't understand your criticism, you seem to be saying that because cancer research only produces treatments for cancer it is somehow an inferior investment/accomplishment compared to the variety of apollo spin offs. Is that correct?
general research does not guarantee that the bang for the buck will be greater. cancer research has a huge budget its so big its in the same league as NASA for research. which of the two produces the widest variety of technical advances? the Apollo program had immense influence on many fields of research taking the same money and passing it around is in no way a guarantee to get comparable results.much less better ones.

phinds said:
I agree this is an increasingly serious problem but I just can't see us making the entire ocean that bad without pretty much killing the entire planet.
the problem with a genetic variant is we can't be sure we'll be able to reverse the effects. in the hypothetical event that we let loose a particular variant that's toxic in some way to humans (lets use the fish thing where the male genes are being flushed from the reproductive line) this event wouldn't wipe out life on earth. plants and some organisms would be unaffected to some extent while mammals would be decimated. if the cause is somehow self reproducing or spread by organisms it could pollute all connected waterways.

dragoneyes001 said:
the problem with a genetic variant is we can't be sure we'll be able to reverse the effects. in the hypothetical event that we let loose a particular variant that's toxic in some way to humans (lets use the fish thing where the male genes are being flushed from the reproductive line) this event wouldn't wipe out life on earth. plants and some organisms would be unaffected to some extent while mammals would be decimated. if the cause is somehow self reproducing or spread by organisms it could pollute all connected waterways.
Yep, but if our only solution is to bring water from space 99% of us are going to die of thirst.

phinds said:
Yep, but if our only solution is to bring water from space 99% of us are going to die of thirst.
unfortunately that's probably true. unless we develop a standing practice of getting things in space which so far has been underwhelming at best. the landing on the comet was a huge leap forward compared to the last 40 years.

Let me edit the above: die of thirst maybe not. but suffer the consequences of the toxins would be more accurate.

Last edited:
Yes, if you drink deadly polluted water because you are so thirsty you die.

How much money do you think would have to been invested into the Apollo or other space programs to generate the insight focussed research on cancer has given in the preceding decades? People survive today because of that research, which is a crucial reason why is it done at all. My point is that there are of course some scientific insights and applications from the space programs, but only if these applications somehow accidentally touch the areas the space agencies and their researchers chose to focus on.

how many fields of study does this site post as sections which are DIRECTLY related to fields the Apollo program advanced ?

dragoneyes001 said:
how many fields of study does this site post as sections which are DIRECTLY related to fields the Apollo program advanced ?
What site are you referring to? I think there may be a misunderstanding. I didn't say they didn't advance scientific fields or that their research focused on a too narrow field. I'm saying the cost of these advancements was probably higher than it needed to be - and there even are fields or even not directly science-related undertakings which may be considered more important by many, but on which the impact of space programs was in comparison very small.

DarthMatter said:
What site are you referring to? I think there may be a misunderstanding. I didn't say they didn't advance scientific fields or that their research focused on a too narrow field. I'm saying the cost of these advancements was probably higher than it needed to be - and there even are fields or even not directly science-related undertakings which may be considered more important by many, but on which the impact of space programs was in comparison very small.
certainly we could consider however many billions went into the space program as food which could have saved tens of millions of lives during some of the famines in recent history. but as i posted in an earlier response the advances in plastics alone created the environment necessary for the mass production of computers which became the personal computers ...etc... how many related advances would have not occurred had those conditions not been there at the time?

PS: this site "Physics forum"

Last edited: