What a Shame we can't cite from popular sources!

• Thread starter .Scott
  • Start date
.Scott
Homework Helper
Life would be so much more exciting.
Here's one from UK's www.express.com:
https://www.express.co.uk/news/scie...7-earth-crash-2019-date-nasa-asteroid-tracker

Of course, it's all very sensational - and they do eventually specify exactly how likely this asteroid is to hitting Earth anytime soon (slim). And one wonders how such a huge thing could "veer off course".

But should it hit Earth, it would hit this fast:
And at the point of atmospheric entry, Asteroid GD37 would likely hit the Earth at a velocity of 581 trillion mph (28.65km per second).
It's that 581 trillion mph that really gets ya. How could we even see such a thing before it struck us? How could we even survive its gravity wave while seeing it?

Answers and Replies

Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
2020 Award
It's the Express. Did you expect accuracy?

Likes TachyonLord
And what titles the SUN?

Doomsday on X-Mas!

russ_watters
Mentor
Generally we accept news sources about real research, such as this.
It's that 581 trillion mph that really gets ya. How could we even see such a thing before it struck us?
It has apparently been updated to correct that exceptionally bad math; 64,000 mph.
How could we even survive its gravity wave while seeing it?
That question doesn't mean anything that I can discern.

It's that 581 trillion mph that really gets ya.

It has apparently been updated to correct that exceptionally bad math; 64,000 mph.
Must have been a rounding error...

Of course, as we all know, "journalists" have never been known for their skills in complex calculations such as percentages and ratios.

Likes berkeman and davenn
.Scott
Homework Helper
That question doesn't mean anything that I can discern.
If something with positive mass was travelling at 1000c, I am thinking that would be very disruptive to the neighborhood.
I suppose it wouldn't make sense to talk about its rest mass. But my thought was that it would create more of a gravity wave than your average collapsing Black Hole. But perhaps not. If it was the same as a billion tons appearing across the sky for a millisecond and then gone, that would not be a big deal. If it was better modeled as a continuous string of billion ton masses appearing across the sky for a millisecond, that could shake things up a bit.

strangerep
Science Advisor
If something with positive mass was travelling at 1000c,
I sure hope you're saying all this tongue-in-cheek. o0)

A tachyonic asteroid coming towards us at 1000 times faster than light? Well, we definitely wouldn't see it coming... :confused:

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
If something with positive mass was travelling at 1000c, I am thinking that would be very disruptive to the neighborhood.
Plus think what it would do to all those physics textbooks.

Likes .Scott and davenn
.Scott
Homework Helper
My basic point was simply to provide an example of something that had gotten into the mainstream press that was sensational to the point of deceptive and absurdly inaccurate as well.