Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What actually is the Dirac Point ?

1. Oct 8, 2011 #1
    What actually is the "Dirac Point"?

I'm trying to find out what actually is the "Dirac Point"?!

I've Googled it and searched around on the internet, looked through books, but haven't actually been able to find a definitive definition and explanation, just general references to it within the context.

:grumpy:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2011 #2
    Re: What actually is the "Dirac Point"?

All I know is that it has to do with Graphene. I don't have the exact definition. :uhh:

4. Oct 9, 2011 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

From wikipedia's article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphene#Electronic_properties

5. Aug 4, 2012 #4

lww

i think it's better to refer to the RMP paper writtern by M.O. Goerbig (2011), who says:

Although they (Dirac points) are situated at the same position in the first BZ, it is useful to make a clear conceptual distinction between the Dirac points D and D', which are defined as the contact points between the two bands, andthe crystallographic points K and K', which are defined as the corners of the first BZ. There are indeed situations where the Dirac points move away from the points K and K'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook