Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What age do you start to feel old?

1. Aug 10, 2007 #1
    You know , the age limit you reach where you used up all your youthfulness. when does your rebellious meter start decreasing? For me its 20. I do anything to be a teenager again

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2007 #2
    Mine'll be something like 90. I think then I might be forced to admit that, maybe, I'm a little bit old without QUITE as much potential as I used to have.

4. Aug 10, 2007 #3

Danger

Gold Member

My memory is a bit hazy, but I think that I was about 3.

5. Aug 10, 2007 #4
    I will be turnihg 20 and I think it is depressing, I woud give any thing to be 10 again. The only thing I got to look for now is when I am 25, when car insurance lower; and no not 21.

6. Aug 10, 2007 #5
    yes I would defintely would be the first person in line if there was a time machine that would let you travel to your childhood. My second choice would still be a teenager so I could visit those ackward stages that I wasn't very attentive to.

7. Aug 10, 2007 #6
    Yah same here, go back and change some things would be nice; like if I knew Diff Eq. by age 10 would be sweet.:smile:

8. Aug 10, 2007 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The first time that some really hot looking babe calls you sir. :grumpy:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  9. Aug 10, 2007 #8
    :rofl::rofl:Oh my God!:rofl: Sounds like a personal experience, Ivan.

10. Aug 10, 2007 #9

Danger

Gold Member

With the exception of Tsu, I have trouble believing that any hot looking babe speaks to you at all. :tongue:

11. Aug 10, 2007 #10

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I stayed 20 years old for nearly 20 years. Now at 42, I'm 31. But I think I'll be 36 next year.

You are as young as you want to be right now. You will only be getting older from this point on. Hmm sounds like a song...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  12. Aug 10, 2007 #11
    I'm 52, and really started feeling old at 20. I couldn't believe I'd lived through that incredibly large number of years. This still seems true to me: the distance between 0 and 20 will always be greater than the distance between 20 and any other age after it.

13. Aug 10, 2007 #12

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

In my case - NEVER! I'll die being rebellious. :biggrin:

Physiologically, I certainly can't perform at the levels I did 30 years ago (I'm almost 50), and if I get injured, it takes longer to heal.

On the other hand, I find that I feel much better (somewhat younger) as long as I engage in some vigorous physical activity like running/hiking, swimming, canoeing/kayaking, . . . .

I certainly wouldn't want to be a teenager again.

It would be nice to be about 25 and have 50 years worth of knowledge and experience. :tongue:

14. Aug 10, 2007 #13

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Injuries start to suck when you're in your 40's/50's. Even the minor strains seem to take months to really heal - everytime they start to feel better and you forget about them, you reinjure the same muscles because they really haven't healed all the way. I think I spent all of last summer alternating between an injured left shoulder and an injured right shoulder.

The idea that a person is old at 20 is just silly. All the good stuff starts happening in your 20's when you actually start accomplishing something instead of learning how other people accomplish things.

Probably because you don't look back with quite the same point of view, but about the only part of my teens that I really miss was my part time job and the people I worked with there. Most of the rest of it, such as school and so on .... meh, it was alright, but nothing to write home about. I could have made a lot better use of most of my time.

15. Aug 10, 2007 #14

Astronuc

Tell me about it! A couple of years ago, I was moving a fallen tree from the road near my house. It had falled across one lane on a curve, and I was concerned that cars going around it would risk colliding with oncoming traffic. After clearing broken branches, I tried moving the trunk. I got the brilliant idea (NOT!) of running and pushing it on to the shoulder, and thinking it was rotted, I assumed it would break (it had fallen between two other trees). Well it didn't break, and once I got to the shoulder, I lost traction and the tree recoiled like a spring. I got thrown backward about 10 feet and 'thwacked' onto the pavement, and just about broke my hip. :redface: It took about 6 weeks for the pain to subside.

Yeah. Twenties is young. I was in my prime in my mid-20's.

I like where I am anyway. I've been to a lot of interesting places and met many interesting people, and I have a lot of good friends. :smile:

16. Aug 10, 2007 #15
    Old is one year older than I am.

17. Aug 10, 2007 #16

Evo

I didn't start enjoying life until I was 32. I would never want to go back to being a child or a teenager unless I could retain all of the knowledge I have now.

18. Aug 10, 2007 #17
    What happened at 32?

19. Aug 10, 2007 #18

turbo

Gold Member

Lamenting the loss of youth is a really pointless exercise. Live your life and be productive. When you're 50, you may look back wistfully and say "I wish I could go back 30 years and do things differently", but dwelling on regrets is poisonous to your well-being.

20. Aug 10, 2007 #19

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Exactly! Although I'm 23 and turning 24, I don't feel like I'm getting old.

I focus on what I should do now and think about the future as I make my decisions and not look back at what I should have done differently.

21. Aug 10, 2007 #20
    I think the first time I didn't get carded for buying beer was when I started feeling old.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?