What am I supposed to do to be better than what I am now?

• Thread starter astrophysics12
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker has always dreamed of becoming a physicist but is doubting their abilities. They are preparing for competitive exams but are struggling with problem-solving. They are seeking advice on how to improve in this area and have received recommendations for books on problem-solving. They plan to work on solving more difficult problems to improve.
astrophysics12
I want to be a physicist. It has always been my dream, but I am having doubts about my ability.

I am preparing for a few competitive exams to get into good colleges offering Int-PhD. I found that I am unable to even solve some of the problems. It becomes obvious when I see the solution. Is there any way to improve in solving problems?

Physics news on Phys.org
Solve problems.

johnqwertyful said:
Solve problems.

Or, to paraphrase Adm. Halsey, " Solve problems, solve problems, solve more problems!"

There are books about problem-solving, like How to Solve It or the one by Paul Zeitz, although they are for math, rather than just physics.

I'll second (or third) the advice above. I used to be terrible as solving those difficult problems (still am) but did improve greatly by trying to work on a lot more of them.

Thanks a lot. I will try solving difficult problems.

Related to What am I supposed to do to be better than what I am now?

1. What does it mean to be "better"?

Being "better" is often a subjective term and can mean different things to different people. In general, being better can refer to improving oneself physically, mentally, emotionally, or in other areas of life.

2. How can I determine what I should improve on?

It can be helpful to reflect on your values, goals, and areas of weakness in order to determine what you should focus on improving. Seeking feedback from others can also provide valuable insight into areas where you can improve.

3. Is there a specific timeline for becoming "better"?

There is no set timeline for personal growth and improvement. It is important to approach self-improvement at your own pace and to not compare yourself to others. Focus on making progress and being better than you were yesterday.

4. Can I improve in all aspects of my life simultaneously?

While it is possible to work on multiple areas of improvement at once, it can be overwhelming and may not lead to sustainable progress. It may be more effective to prioritize and focus on one or a few areas at a time.

5. What are some tips for staying motivated during the self-improvement process?

Setting specific and achievable goals, celebrating small successes, and seeking support and accountability from others can help you stay motivated. It can also be helpful to remind yourself of the benefits and positive impact that self-improvement will have on your life.