What animals can be found in my area?

In summary, the conversation discussed a search for a website that shows the species of animals in a specific area, with a preference for being able to filter by states, countries, or zip codes. One suggested website was provided, which allows users to select an area and use a "species finder" tool. The conversation also touched on the inclusion of insects in this list, and the possibility of finding specialized websites for specific insects. Another website focused on pests and insects was mentioned as a starting point, but it did not have the exact features desired.
bassplayer142
Does anyone know a site that shows what species of any animal is in an area. Ideally one that would picks states, countries, or zip codes. I'm just interested in knowing about what animals are around me and identifying them. Thanks in advance.

Biology news on Phys.org
You can find many maps, do a google search on terrestrial ecosystem mapping, wildlife mapping, species mapping, etc...

Here's one to give you a start.

http://www.worldwildlife.org/wildfinder/

You select an area then use the "species finder" tool at the right of the map. You can drill down to a pretty specific area, including zip codes.

Here is an example searching on San Diego, CA.

http://www.worldwildlife.org/wildfinder/searchByPlace.cfm?fPlace=san%20Diego&place=San%20Diego,%20California,%20United%20States&x=-117.156&y=32.709&minx=-117.2822&miny=32.5349&maxx=-116.9082&maxy=33.1143#

The images link to each species is pretty cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much. That is definitely a good start and now I know some terminology.

Does this list not include insects? I can't seem to find any.

Last edited:
My pleasure. You brought up an interesting search that many might find interesting

Wow, that's a cool site! I found the list for my area and exported it to Excel :cool: .

bassplayer142 said:
Does this list not include insects? I can't seem to find any.
Insects will cost you extra. :smile:

As I expected, most entymologists specialize so many of the websites with maps are listed by specific insects.

Here is one starting place, although it does not have exactly what you want, some of the information is rather interesting. I'll keep looking.

http://pests.ifas.ufl.edu/bestbugs/

Last edited by a moderator:
That was fun, I need to spend a few days bird watching.

Related to What animals can be found in my area?

What is the definition of a species?

A species is a group of organisms that share similar physical and genetic characteristics and are able to reproduce and produce viable offspring.

How do scientists determine the number of species in an area?

Scientists use various methods such as DNA analysis, physical characteristics, and behavior to identify and classify different species in an area. They also conduct surveys and collect data on the distribution and abundance of species.

Why is it important to study the species of animals in an area?

Studying the species of animals in an area helps us understand the biodiversity and ecosystem dynamics of that area. It also allows us to monitor changes in species populations and identify potential threats to their survival.

What factors can affect the distribution of species in an area?

The distribution of species in an area can be influenced by various factors such as climate, habitat availability, competition, predation, and human activities such as deforestation and pollution.

How do species in an area interact with each other?

Species in an area can interact with each other in various ways such as competition, predation, mutualism, and commensalism. These interactions play a crucial role in maintaining the balance of the ecosystem.